2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home this week and noticed one of it's largest branches covered in a webbing. Closer inspection reveals bugs (see red circles) not tent worms or anything like that. Has anyone else dealt with this? Just wondering if I need to do something special before using a general insecticide.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Rusty, a mixture of liquid detergent and water, sprayed from a pump up sprayer will take care of that. Mix it like you would for washing a car or truck. One "squirt" per 2 or 3 gallons. Works good for wasps, yellow jackets, and ants too.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Rusty:

Don't kill it. Those are benifical insects known as bark lice. They will be gone in a couple of weeks. They eat all of the dead stuff on the bark along with mildew.

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
In a week or so you’ll notice a gillion little catapillars. I think their called web worms or something like that. I'd kill'em now or you'll have those little buggers all over the place.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Do NOT kill them....

Those little boogers are very good for your tree. Don't bother 'em. They will be gone shortly and your tree will be happy.

They definitely are not bag worms.

Free tree help.

Bob

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not web worms. Web worms make their "bags" on the leafy part of the tree.

These insects, as mentioned above are beneficial. The silk on the tree limbs are fine. We've had the same thing on our oak trees in POC and they are still growing strong.

·
Fishin' 4 Crappie
345 Posts
What kind of detergent? I have a wasp problem and I have bought a bunch of spray. Is it instant death. I don't want to get nailed by angry wasps.

Mont said:
Rusty, a mixture of liquid detergent and water, sprayed from a pump up sprayer will take care of that. Mix it like you would for washing a car or truck. One "squirt" per 2 or 3 gallons. Works good for wasps, yellow jackets, and ants too.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Not to sound like a hardhead here, but.....

The first time I had these guys in my oaks I called Ability Tree Experts. They came out, checked, and told me not to touch them. They are a beneficial insect. Eric is correct in what he says.

So if you don't want to take our word they are a good thing, call Ability and get them to come out and charge you for the same info Eric and I are telling you.

Bob

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
OK maybe I’m wrong but it sure looks like the same thing I have on my oak tree. It appears about this time every year and I take a high pressure nozzle and spray the dickens out of of’em. My neighbor has a bad case of web worms every year and I’m assuming it’s the same thing. I’ll leave them alone this year and see if worms hatch.

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
Hey guys, let’s start a rumor...FC's got worms!

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
It's beneficial per my hubby. The tree stuff...not that stuff about FC havin worms. Dissing FC is NEVER beneficial!

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
Well I’m going to bed now so I can get up early and harass Ms B and L2F in the morning. See ya.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts