2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gadget was left in a boat barn I rented last winter. I told the proprietor about, but nobody came forward to claim it. Altho' it doesn't take up much room, I moved to Austin and am now keeping everything except the boat in the garage and unless I can figure out what to use it for it's probably history.

Neat looking gadget, tho'. My guess it's for pulling some kind of critter out of a hole or from underneath something. I doubt that whatever gets grabbed by this thing will make it to the playoffs, tho. It's got a nasty bite and when the trip in the middle gets bumped, the jaws slam home with quite a bit of force. I thought, perhaps, that it might be used as a fish grabber or maybe a gig of some sort, but it looks like it would mess up the filets pretty bad. Has anyone seen one before or know what it's used for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Ice Tong?

don't know why the long handle but it would work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frog gig (slap my forehead!)

Yeah, that's what it is for sure. I didn't even think about frogs. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oyster snatcher?

Hi guys and gals. I been lurchin' since the yellow days...nice entertainment. Y'all seem to be a good bunch of folks. Not much time to post though...

The critter looks like it might be of some use in busting off a hunk of oyster growth and then picking up the good parts. I really have no idea. It looks safe enough from the smart end, but I wouldn't want to be on the stupid end...

Jack

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
Weedless please don't tell my wife you found that.

Actually yes I think it might be a frog gig, interesting concept.

FN

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It's a frog grab, gigs are pointed (usually 3 or 4 barbed points). For years gigs were illegal in Louisiana and most frog hunters used grabs. Some people used a gadget that looked like a windsock on a pole that the frog was supposed to jump into and a few used their hands, but most used the grabs. They worked, but were heavier than gigs and much harder to use.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Slacker said:
Hi guys and gals. I been lurchin' since the yellow days...nice entertainment. Y'all seem to be a good bunch of folks. Not much time to post though...

The critter looks like it might be of some use in busting off a hunk of oyster growth and then picking up the good parts. I really have no idea. It looks safe enough from the smart end, but I wouldn't want to be on the stupid end...

Jack
I'm not the official welcome wagon but, welcome. Stick around, these are a good bunch of folks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's A French Birth Control Device.

OUCH:hairout:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts