2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reel is only 4 months old, a friend has the same problem. Where is this noise coming from? You only hear the noise when you retrieve a lure or have any tension on the line. It doesnt make any noise if you are just spinning it in your office. Any help would be appreciated

Rob

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
What kind of line are you using? What model Stradic?

My guess would be that the line roller (on the bail) is not spinning freely and causing the "rubbing" feeling. This would be more prominent if you were using a braided line. Use a pencil eraser to see if it spins.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Check the line roller for roughness like he said. It is possible that the bearing has failed and requires replacement.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The line roller can feel smooth and still be slightly noisy. Use a 1 or 2 foot section of line and place it through the line roller. Slide the reel back and forth on the line and listen for any noise.

If you are using braided line then it will also cause weird noises. This is normal and a characteristic of braided line.

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
I have a 2500 magnesium one and it does the same thing. Pretty irritating sound when everything around you is quite. I thought it was normal but may have to have it looked at. I am using Power Pro.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 4000 stradic that is doing the same thing and it is NOT the line roller and not the normal braid sound. The sound is coming from inside the reel and sounds like a Daiwa silver series reel from the early 80's. It only makes this sound if there is tension on the line. Like the original poster siad, it sounds smooth as butter standing in the tackle shop spinning it. For me it was a "right out of the box" issue. I returned my first 4000 because of this and figured with the second one it was just shooty workmanship from Shimano. None of my other Shimano spinners (Sedona, Symetre, Stradic 2500, Sustain) make this noise. I have talked to several other people, and fished with one, who have had/have the same issue with their Stradics. I suspect that there is an issue with the roller bearing, but I don't know for sure. At any rate, it is anything but the normal smooth and silent product that I normally get from Shimano. In fact, it's so irratatiing that I won't even use that reel unless I have no other option.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
It sounds like the line roller bearing to me. It will spin smoothly but it is noisy. Please send the reel to us for repair.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This just started happening to my reel and it is definitely the line roller (at least in my case). Good call Bantam!

This reel will hopefully see a lot of use from now until the end of the year. So unfortunately I cannot send it back for repair. I have fixed reels before and I'm pretty sure I can change out the line roller. Can you please give me the part number for it?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bantam1 said:
It sounds like the line roller bearing to me. It will spin smoothly but it is noisy. Please send the reel to us for repair.
Where and to whom should I send it. Do I send it to your attention? What documentation do I need for warranty repair? Do I need to send a written description of the problem? I can probably live without this particular reel for a month or so, so I'd like to go ahead and get it in.

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
Sometimes sand or salt crystals will get between the roror and the body. You can remove the rotor and remove the fine particles.

Charles

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bantam1 said:
Bob I need your reel model number so I can provide you with the correct part number.
Sorry Bantam. That was dumb of me.:spineyes: I guess I just assumed you knew what reels I have.:biggrin:
It's a Stradic 5000FH.

Thanks,
BOB

fishsmart said:
Sometimes sand or salt crystals will get between the roror and the body. You can remove the rotor and remove the fine particles.
Charles
fishsmart,
It certainly sounds like it is in the rotor, but it's the line roller for sure.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Bob Fate said:
Sorry Bantam. That was dumb of me.:spineyes: I guess I just assumed you knew what reels I have.:biggrin:
It's a Stradic 5000FH.
My mind reading skills just aren't what they used to be...:)

RD 7915 is the part number for the line roller bearing.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Groupersandwhich-

Send the reel to:

Shimano attn Reel Repair
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Include a letter with a detailed description of the problem. We will also need your name and return address.

You can also take the reel to a warranty center. I have a link listed at the top of this board with all of the warranty centers. You should be able to find one close to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noise when reeling in line

This may not be the answear for you but it made my noise go away. My Sustain was driving me nuts, I coudn't use it the noise was so bad. I tried oiling the line roller several times as this was where the noise seemed to be comming from. Finnally, I took off the bail and roller and put some Lubriplate grease in it. The noise instantly went away and has not come back. I would try some type of grease.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts