2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying thanks to 2cool and its members and guest. I am new and have posted a few times and have had some very professional replies. My question is?

I have this 2008 Sea Pro SV2100, Jack plate, trolling motor, lowrance lcx27c etc. in the pic. The boat is pretty new and has only made a few trips to the coast. I can't get to the coast but once or twice a month.

What is the best bay or bays should I concentrate on learning with this boat, best fishing etc. I am going to throw allot of time and research to this area this spring and try to become efficient in fishing it. If there's a recommended place then it will help me concentrate on one area and not the whole gulf coast.

Thanks again to the 2coolers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
With a capable rig like that I'd certainly study the Galveston jetties and the awesome fishing that can be had there regularly!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think there are alot of things to consider, What part of the coast is close to you for one. The Galveston bay complex has good fishing, but so do most of the bays. Pick an area, and go out with a guide. You will learn more in that one trip, than a year on your own. When you do go out, record your trips with the GPS. Also get a good map of the area you will fish in. Have Fun and good luck.

nightgigger

·
15,099 Posts
For your rig, and boat fishing vs wading, I would say trinity or east galston bay.
With favor leaning toward Trininty.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
Don't choose

All the bays have something different to offer. I live in Austin as well and I grew up learning galveston bay. Galveston probably has the most diverse set of habitats ...deep shell in Trinity and East, shallow shell in amost all of them, Grass in west bay and and Christmas...then again it's huge.

I personally would focus on learning what structure is in any bay and being able to find it in any bay and learning what to look for to find fish in any bay.

I lived west of Austin my tops would be East Matty and Baffin in the Fall winter spring then West Matty in the summer.

If you want to see what to look for to find trout in any bay system, check out my DVD on my website below...I have a money back guarantee on it.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
What ever bay is handy for you.
I agree there are fish in all of them and that boat will get you to fish.

Focus on the one that is most convenient, and like someone said... Hire a guide for a couple of trips to get started.

Be sure to get one that runs a similar style boat so they take you to places your boat will go. For example... Hiring someone with a Majek Redfish in POC will get you to a lot of spots your boat would never be able to get to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same boat (04 model) and have fished galveston for many years. Galveston is a great place for this boat. Lots of deeper water that you can run without have to worry about the bottom.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
East Matagorda bay would be an excelllence choice to learn.

1. It is a small bay so it will be easy to learn.
2. You can fish on most wind situations.
3. lots of fish
4. Easy to navigate

I highly recommend you take out 1 of the guides you see here on 2cool that specialize & fish matagorda bay regularly ( I stick to Galveston bay) You will learn more from them in 1 trip than a years full of fishing. Make sure and talk to your guide and tell him this is a trip to "learn the community spots of the bay." He wont give up his secret spots but most guides are willing to show you the spots that everybody knows about already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts