2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, what rod would yall recommend for a 4/0 and 6/0 penn casting reel? I would also like to use the rod to drift fish (from a yak) for kings. I am selling my shark rods to get some rods that are more suited to king/tarpon fishing. Since I mostly trout fish I would like to spend around $50-75. thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I was going to recommend a Sea Magic rod. I am really impressed with mine. But you would be looking at $130 and up depending on which model you liked.

-Mike.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Cabolew - is that squirel foreplay or what?? That is too dang funny. Don't mess with my nuts. I'm still cracking up over here. Good one!! Now I just need an avatar of me kicking my $250 casting reel and $130 rod overboard on Saturday. Both of which aren't made anymore and both of which can't be replaced - ebay doesn't even have any. SUCKS!

I'll post my replacement when I decide on one!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
All squirrel jokes aside, I also have a couple Penn Power Sticks in my arsenal which would probably be right in the price range you are looking at.

Things to think about: I basically use my rods to drift shad. I can also troll with them. Would not be that great in my opinion for casting. I would want a lighter weight rod if planning to cast artificials. I have a Falcon Tarpon Special which I use for that and I also use a couple spinning rods. Length would be the next issue. I use 7' rods to get out around my outboards. Have found some cool 6' rods, but, no way it would work for me.

When at the store looking at rods, have a friend or sales person grab the end of the rod and load it up like you have a fish on. This will give a good indication of the back bone of the blank.

Hope this helps.
-Mike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a all star gulf stream rated in the 20-30 lb range adn it works great. if you wanted to get one with a little more back bone they make one that is rated up to 50. not that expensive but good rods. a friend of mine has 4 of them and loves them also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The squirrel picture made my day....I had to go get the woman and my fishing partner to take alookysee....was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.....I am new to Tarpon fishing and just learning so I can't help you with the rod thing but had to comment on the squirrel thing.....Have a joyous Holiday Season to you and family and also to all 2Coolers.....redfish1947 hahahahahahahhhahahah..........

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
I like the Heavy Shimano Teramar, as well as the Castaway Texas Tarpon Rod. On tarpon, I would rather be over-gunned than under-gunned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts