2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 26ft Glacier bay that currently has bottom paint on it. Its had it since I bought the boat back in 2007. It now needs attention, (its not the prettiest) I just dont know if I want to repaint it or to remove the paint. The previous owner kept it in the water at all times so it made sense to have it painted. Ive had it on a trailer since I bought it.

What would you all do?? How difficult is it to remove existing paint? Is it even worth it? Also, Im a hands on person so working on it myself will not hurt my feelings!
What things should I worry about if I decide to remove paint (besides alot of work).. Any input I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance! Gus

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
a few points

bottom paint dust can be very poisonous to inhale

it is a raging pita to sand to a slick hull on a trailer, better on blocks or a sling

might look at a liquid strip or soda blast and repaint w a smooth sponge roll on of interlux vc anti fouling and is trailer rated

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I would like to take the paint off for good. Im not trying to repaint. Im trying to get away from that. Ive seen a couple of products that say that can remove paints. Im just trying to get an idea if anyone has ever done it.??

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Whole bunch of places can remove the paint, wet sand the gelcoat under the paint a bit, and then polish it up. The pros can do it so well, its almost impossible to tell that it was previously painted.

If its an ablative (softer, wear away style) paint, a power washer will take off most of it. If its a hard finish type paint, its a bit more work. Can be stripped with chemicals or stuff like soda blasting.

Call a couple of the your local boat yards. Not trailer boat yards, but sportfisher/in the water type boat yards. They should be able to guide you here.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
either that or take it to South Texas Boat works and have them gelcoat the bottom. George in pearland.
a few points

bottom paint dust can be very poisonous to inhale

it is a raging pita to sand to a slick hull on a trailer, better on blocks or a sling

might look at a liquid strip or soda blast and repaint w a smooth sponge roll on of interlux vc anti fouling and is trailer rated
Both of these. That paint is bad news. I did alot of researching (about a years worth) and price quotes before I decided to just go ahead and get it regelled. Checked out all the bottom paints on the market and none of them would do what I needed (I trailer 100% of the time as you do).

George took mine off and regelcoated the bottom of my Shoalwater. Did a great job. Might want to check with him to see if he is interested in doing another one. I know it wasn't an easy job and extremely dirty. South Texas Boatworks 281-236-1779

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of these. That paint is bad news. I did alot of researching (about a years worth) and price quotes before I decided to just go ahead and get it regelled. Checked out all the bottom paints on the market and none of them would do what I needed (I trailer 100% of the time as you do).

George took mine off and regelcoated the bottom of my Shoalwater. Did a great job. Might want to check with him to see if he is interested in doing another one. I know it wasn't an easy job and extremely dirty. South Texas Boatworks 281-236-1779

Before:

After:

This is more like what Im looking to do. I beleive I have the type of paint that wears off because if I wash the boat I always get paint color on my sponge or brush. Ill give George a call see what he has to say. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
This is more like what Im looking to do. I beleive I have the type of paint that wears off because if I wash the boat I always get paint color on my sponge or brush. Ill give George a call see what he has to say. Thanks for the info!
Ya, that soft stuff that is coming off on your sponge is ablative paint. Designed to slough off as you run through the water... and the microorganisms slough off with it.

Mine had epoxy paint (hard and shiny stuff) OVER ablative paint OVER gelcoat... lol...

Now just fresh and clean gelcoat! George and SouthTexas Boatworks is highly recommended.

If you repaint, you will be in the same boat in another 2 years....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, that soft stuff that is coming off on your sponge is ablative paint. Designed to slough off as you run through the water... and the microorganisms slough off with it.

Mine had epoxy paint (hard and shiny stuff) OVER ablative paint OVER gelcoat... lol...

Now just fresh and clean gelcoat! George and SouthTexas Boatworks is highly recommended.

If you repaint, you will be in the same boat in another 2 years....
Thanks for ur help!
My question is once he re gels it how do u maintain it?
Do u have to keep re gelling it every year?
Or is it a one time deal?

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
gelcoat is hard as a rock, your done

that's why you want a hull w decent gelcoat layer to start with , so it doesn't scar thru to the glass

1 - 11 of 11 Posts