2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with some hunters on the ranch next to me and im asking for suggestions on how to end this problem. I hunt on a small piece of land that has a total of 180 acres. the hunters next to me have a little over 500 acres of land. . i started hunting on this piece of property that a friend has and at that time three of his cousins hunted there. At that time, his cousins had two of the three blinds on the fence lines which i did not agree with and i could see why the neighboring hunters would do things like pee on the fence line right before daylight, drive the fourwheelers at daylight,put a dead cow on the fence line,etc. Well, luckily the three cousins were kicked off and i have the place which i hunt myself,dad and one friend of the family. I moved all three blinds including feeders away from the fence line. All three have been moved at least 120-150 yards off the line (remember its a only 180 acres) with brush and trees in between the fence line and us. All of the feeders face inside the property and not towards a fence. i have met with these hunters and let them know that the previous hunters are no longer here and that we have three hunters that practice game conservation and respect the ethics of neighboring hunters. However these hunters continue to drive by and stop at day break and honk there horns and walk to the fence line and **** right there. What should i do? (in a twist of fate, these guys actually put a blind right on a fence line neighboring a cross section of our place)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Just shoot 'em, bury 'em and forget 'em.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
doesnt sound like they are really 'other hunters' to me...if they were they'd be in the stand instead of driving around ******* on everything

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Move to the otherside.....like stated above there aint much you can do......although hunter harrassment is illegal

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, thanks for the replys!

its just annoying kowing that i tried to improve the situation and they still want to be dumb####. the funny part is two of the three blinds on our place is almost solid brush and there's is just an open coastal field. im almost like heck with it ill put the blinds back on the fence line and give them a reason to do what they do but i wont because its not right

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Maybe talk to the game warden?

Harassment of hunters is illegal in Texas:

Sec. 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's Rights Act.
(b) In this section:
(1) "Wildlife" means all species of wild mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.
(2) "Process of hunting or catching" means any act directed at the lawful hunting or catching of wildlife, including camping or other acts preparatory to hunting or catching of wildlife that occur on land or water on which the affected person has the right or privilege of hunting or catching that wildlife.
(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(e) No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(f) This section does not apply to a peace officer of this state, a law enforcement officer of the United States, a member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state, or employees of the department or other state or federal agencies having statutory responsibility to manage wildlife or land during the time that the officer, member, or employee is in the actual discharge of official duties.
(g) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
(h) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution that the defendant's conduct is protected by the right to freedom of speech under the constitution of this state or the United States.

Added by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 731, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1985. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 700, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 11, 1993.

Sec. 62.013. PENALTIES. (a) Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person who violates a provision of this subchapter commits an offense that is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.

Note: This is not legal advice, or an opinion on the conduct described. I am just pointing out the statute.

·
Watch your top knot.
1,072 Posts
I wouldn't stoop to their level. Try to gather some evidence of harrassment show it to the GW or land owner if they lease or them with threat of reporting them. It is illegal to molest another mans hunt. How em"bareass"ed would you be if you were caught on a game cam dumpping on a fence?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had friend who went hunting near Bracketville and had a neighbor come honking his truck next to the fence to prevent "his" deer from crossing to where my buddy was hunting. They called the game warden out and he took care of it. Just talked to the guy and it stopped just like that. No fines or anything. As with myself, I bet alot of people dont know such harassment is illegal, and probably should be enlightened by such proper authority

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
So I can't do anything at my property line if the neighbor is hunting in his stand next to my property?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I can say that this is not an issue in Fort Lauderdale. Thank God
We have a hole boaters instead but a 1oz lead usually fixes them

·
Registered
762 Posts
So I can't do anything at my property line if the neighbor is hunting in his stand next to my property?
Yea you can do all sorts of things as long as it isn't construed as harassment. You can drive down the fence, in a "meaningful manner" headed to or from your stand, or house, which ever the case may be. You can even stalk down the fence line as long as your not messing with the other hunter. We had a similar issue with hunters along a fence line at my friends property. Heck they even had feeders with pens with the stand looking towards his place, and hog traps wired up to the fence with the opening towards his property. We both like to stalk and can get through the woods pretty quietly especially knowing where to go in order to be hid. On several occasions, we slipped in behind them and touched off either the 300 RUM or various other loudenboomers right at the butt crack of daylight or dark. We had a blast busting hogs with those big guns over and over again. then we would walk out on the road right along the fence, to the 4 wheeler or mule and drive back in load up and drive back out. Never said a word to anyone while there nor even waived. The GW came to see us and spoke of our so called antics. We simply loaded him up, and hauled him around for a little look see. When we got back he said "thanks for your time" and headed off next door. Couple of weeks later no more feeders or stands or hog traps. I think the clincher on the deal was the bullet holes in the trees on my friends side of the fence which lined up perfectly with the stand they had looking at the feeder along the fence line. I surmised that once the GW saw this he went over and explained the newer laws and fines and penalties and they dicided that was more than enough persuasion.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Going to be tough to prove they are intentionally harassing you. One place I bowhunt, a fellow rides an ATV down the fence line every morning about 1/2 hour after daylight. He is not harassing anyone. Its just where he likes to ride his fourwheeler. Any harassment is just happenstance.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Coyotes, *****, Bears, and the Uni Bomber pee in the woods and the deer dont care. I have lived with deer for years believe me they dont care about pee. The only thing you can do is move to a larger ranch, drink better whiskey and smoke premium cigars.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
not much you can do except move to a bigger place. They can make as much as noise as they want, drive however they want, and wiz pretty much anywhere they want and its not gonna be construed as hunter harrassment.

·
Cut Em!
662 Posts
you can hunt the other side of your place, move to another place, but if thats their property they can pretty much do whatever they want other than sit in their pick up and honk their horn at you while you hunt. its theirs and they can make it a motorcross practice track if they please, hold a rock concert mid day and ride 4 wheelers all day down every fence line until dark and after if they so wish. its ashame their not more civil about it but it would appear that the two prior leasees have ruined and strew much chance at a mends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts