2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Reel Boy - Team Reel Blessed
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in an email. Does anyone know anything about this picture and where it was taken?

I wish the 50"+ of rain that we got around my lease would bring this :)

·
15,098 Posts
That is indeed a monster, but that buck probably looks like that rain or no rain....
He dont go hungry...or miss his vitamins
I see so much of deer like that in Texas Trophy Hunters mag. that I dont even get excited about it when I see ear tags.......
There are lots of Barry Bonds deer down there...

·
Reel Boy - Team Reel Blessed
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redfishr said:
That is indeed a monster, but that buck probably looks like that rain or no rain....
He dont go hungry...or miss his vitamins
I see so much of deer like that in Texas Trophy Hunters mag. that I dont even get excited about it when I see ear tags.......
There are lots of Barry Bonds deer down there...
With that being said, sometimes those super bucks get out and someone gets their name in the book. I'm like you, the deer I see in TTH don't get me excited, but if one like that came out of the brush on my property:eek:. It could happen and does happen. We have high fences all around us.
Quite a few years ago the river behind my house flooded and the exotic ranch a few miles away lost all of their trophy whitetail, axis, fallow and who know what else when the water washed away the back fence.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Wasn't that picture taken in the vacant lot next to the Walmart parking lot just last year? I seem to recall......

·
Registered
419 Posts
Seems to me like there might have been some editing done to pic..... But with that said the rack is vary impressive.......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
look at tag in the does ear in the back.breeder buck in a pen.
Just because it has a tag doesn't mean it is a pen raised deer.

Lots for ranches capture native/wild bucks off their ranch in late Oct/early Nov and put them in a small high fenced area with a number of native/wild does, also captured off their ranch. The deer will remain in the enclosure until late summer (by law they have to be released by a certain date less than a years time from when they were captured). Each deer gets a tag, etc. Believe it or not the bucks will often decline after spending the winter in the "Bachelor Pad" because the strain/stress of breeding 18+ does...they don't do near that in the wild. It is kinda hard to believe considering they get pampered in the Pad, but it is the truth.

Having said that...this buck is huge, so I can't help but suspect it is a pen rainsed deer and/or photo shopped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Breeder bucks in pens, such as this deer, and pics of them in Texas Trophy Hunter, is why I will not be renewing my membership. When I joined it years ago, the magazine was more about hunting. It was good. Really good. Nowadays, its more about how big you can grow 'em, and if you can't grow big ones, heck, you can just buy them.

All in all... .I wish it were the good old days again and big bucks were just big bucks and you were just lucky enough or patient enough to be able to see one.

I wish that there wasn't a market for big bucks like these. That way, when I admire a big buck mounted on the wall, I would know that it was grown and hunted fairly.. and it made some hunters heart jump almost from his throat... Not raised in a pen and released to be shot by the first hunter to show up with a fat wallet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Outcast said:
Can you say Photoshop?
We have a winner!!!! I was thinking the same thing. Look at where bases of the horns attach to the head. Don't look right.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Jtaylor said:
Breeder bucks in pens, such as this deer, and pics of them in Texas Trophy Hunter, is why I will not be renewing my membership. When I joined it years ago, the magazine was more about hunting. It was good. Really good. Nowadays, its more about how big you can grow 'em, and if you can't grow big ones, heck, you can just buy them.

All in all... .I wish it were the good old days again and big bucks were just big bucks and you were just lucky enough or patient enough to be able to see one.

I wish that there wasn't a market for big bucks like these. That way, when I admire a big buck mounted on the wall, I would know that it was grown and hunted fairly.. and it made some hunters heart jump almost from his throat... Not raised in a pen and released to be shot by the first hunter to show up with a fat wallet.
I agree with you...all the Breeder operations and TTHA have created the same result with monster deer as steroids has to baseball...when big numbers are put up you can't help but wonder. I quit my TTHA subscription as well.

That being said, as stated in my previous post, there is no proof that this is not a native/wild Texas buck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts