2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while, we catch a fish that is out of the ordinary. Post photos of your strangest catch.

This summer, I caught a spotted moray eel on Salvador Ridge (one of Rik Jacobsen's spots). The fish clamped down on a pair of pliers when I was attempting to remove the hook. I was amazed at the biting pressure (and happy it was not one of my fingers).

Tell us about your unusual catch.

Mike

Attachments

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
When fishing the Sargent Tourney. Sucker had all kinds of sharp, pokey stuff around him.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Record

Joey,

If your fish is the short bigeye (Pristigenys alta), you definitely have the state record fish. The world record is only 1.4 pounds.

If so, don't feel bad. I caught the record chere chere grunt last year and used it as bait.

When fishing the Sargent Tourney. Sucker had all kinds of sharp, pokey stuff around him.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Thanks for telling me now Mike, you know how many sponsorships I could have had!:smile:

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I caught a complete tackle box, full of tackle. It had been down there a few years, and there wasn't anything useful in it. But, it was a kewl catch. Fought just like an anchor would.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Mike had a freaky looking eel, but I think there was another kind called a kingfish eel. It was mostly green with a white belly only on the very bottom, no markings I could see. Not what us Texans call a "deepwater pink worm eel" or something like that, not at all pink. It looked like the slimer from heck and I'm glad I don't have a picture of it! Ever seen such a green fish-eel before?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
While I was a guest on a boat last August, I was lucky enough to catch the new state(TX) and water body record(GOM), Misty Grouper. Had the Capt. not known about this specie it would have ended up as tasty filets back at the dock.Until that trip I didn't know there were Misty Grouper.Someone else caught a fish very similar to Hotrod's and the Capt. called it a "Big eyed Toro", seems I recall him saying the Toro was a few oz. below the record wt. Lots of strange looking things out there in the GOM's deep waters. Toro in pic #2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Good Bye and Good Riddance

We caught a "King Snake Eel" out of Port Eads, La. It was about 6' long,
had grey and rust colored bands, with 2 rows of needle teeth...I have
brought lots of 6'+ sharks into my boat...This thang looked so bad...I
Just CUT the Line...Good Riddance...
Mustad7731
Jackie

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I have fish the GOM since 1976...caught two Spanish Hogfish...the first and second ever...I never knew they even existed! I had a customer catch one (1st one) and I personally caught one...pretty little guys...mine is going on the wall.

They were caught three days apart, but different areas in August.

Attachments

·
Get Bent
1,273 Posts
found it back in june.. about 9 miles out of freeport. I got a hold of the coast gaurd and they said to disregard they already had a report of it....

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yeah, we ran up on it when it was closer to the first rig out of Freeport and the CG said the same thing to us which I found it puzzling that they did not clear it since it was definitley going towards the lane. I never did hear the story about what actually happened. It was rough that day and it blended in well with the white caps.

AGF

it hadnt been there to long. If you look close in this photo you can see a flip flop

1 - 20 of 30 Posts