2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
wastin' away again in Margaritaville
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have said on numerous occasions, I work with a bunch of 20-somethings. Well, this morning the whole CB thing came up. You know, from the 70's and early 80's, Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, the CB lingo. I got a lot of blank stares and, "God, you're old."

Anyway, my handle was "Mr. Whiskers" ... what was yours? :D

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I was around Dallas then and had a base station set up. I went by
'The Silver Tongue Devil". I used to shut down I30 or then it was the turnpike. Had about 1000 watts to play with within a mile of the turnpike.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
CB is still heavily used out west on the mountain logging roads. Gotta monitor those log trucks, you don't want to suddenly come face to face with one coming downhill in a hurry. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, all of them use CB heavily.

"Green Blur" was my handle...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Don't laugh. It so GAY these days, but back then they called me "Calypso Kid" because I was into marine biology and diving, even in high school.

I told my kids it was like a big chat room. I was 16 or 17 back then. I'd sit in my pickup until the wee hours of the morning talking to friends and strangers. It didn't hurt that I had a big (re: illegal) amp on the thing. Mom would complain that I made the TV roll when I keyed the mike (do TV's ever roll anymore? I bet digits can't do that....)

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I was Barny or Barnyard back in the mid-90s. Some how my name "Baranowski" got turned into "Barnyard" when I was a freshman in High School by a Senior. Then it was shortened to "Barny". Since all my friends had CB it just stuck. I lived need a major highway NW of Lubbock so I would talk to truckers. I remember many mornings I would talk to a HAM in El Paso.

Someone found me on Facebook a few weeks ago and Barnyard popped up again. I has been years since anyone has called me that.

·
Shoalwater owner/ concrete guy
5,153 Posts
My Grand Pa's was "Pol Cat".......he was Polish Catholic.

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
Toad....
DO NOT get on the CB and call anybody "good buddy"...apparantly the definition of that phrase has changed a bit over the years....

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
1st handle in the late 70s was whiskeyrunner with dirty dog KCH8855
later when the CB craze picked backed up in the mid 80s it was mudhog, I still have a couple of CBs laying around I might just dig one out this weekend to see what kind of chatter is going on. 10-10 doing it again catch you on the flip side.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Holy smokes it's been a long time since I've even thought about the old C.B. handle.

" The Polish Joke " was the handle and my dad had the Base Station up in
Zavalla , Tx. called the Yellow Dog Base. Operated off a ground plane antenna
in a pine tree about 80 feet in the air.

That was a lot more enjoyable yapping with folks all over the country than watchin cable TV.

Great Memories. Thanks for posting this up.

Have some green from Dr. Krol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Texas Homebreaker,Heart breaker. (OK remember I was much younger then), We lived in Sugar Land then and my parents lived in north Dallas. Four and a half hours of pure driving missery for my wife back then. She hated that radio.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Too young but my father's handle was the Firm Worm from the Capitol City. We lived in Austin. I didn't pick up on the meaning until years later. Nothing cooler than rolling down the highway in a 1976 Chevy Caprice Classic woody station wagon, with 3 kids and a wife calling yourself the firm worm. Good stuff.-T

1 - 20 of 203 Posts