B. for wood

A. I use a skew almost all the time.
B. Depends on what I am turning
bowls=bowl gouge and inside bowl=round nose scraper
pens=skew or gouge

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Gouge for just about everything to start out, then a smaller gouge LOL I do like the skew once things are more round.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yesterday the answer was:
A. Skew
B. Skew for pens

but, I got a carbide scraper for Christmas and I may just use it for everything but final cuts. I'm loving it so far.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
3/8" Spindle Gouge almost to finish...

3/8" Spindlemaster (actually a round nosed skew) for finish work...

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3/8" Spindle Gouge almost to finish...

3/8" Spindlemaster (actually a round nosed skew) for finish work...
Post a picture of that Spindlemaster. I have a old skew I may grind down and see if I can make one out of it.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I use a gouge to start then finish with a skew - at least I think that's what I used to do when I had time to turn something.

·
TurnTex Woodworks
378 Posts
Bowl gouge wtih fingernail grind for everything but the last pass. Then I switch to the skew. I know how to use the skew just fine and used to use it from start to finish but I can remove material faster wtih my bowl gouge. This is for pens.

If I am doing bowls, I use the bowl gouge and a heavy scraper. For hollowforms, I use the bowl gouge on the outside and my Monster Hollowing Tool for the hollowing.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Roughing Gouge, Spindle Gouge, Skew (I am still learning to master the skew) Round Nose Scraper, and Parting tool. Really like the Pro PM set I got last year!!!!

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
I used to use a bowl gouge for roughing, and the spindle master like Tortuga, for final shaping, but recently purchased a carbide cutter and use it for almost everything now. I love that tool !

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
I used to use a bowl gouge for roughing, and the spindle master like Tortuga, for final shaping, but recently purchased a carbide cutter and use it for almost everything now. I love that tool !
lesse a pix or source on that carbide cutter, Richard... Always got room for just one more tool..lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
One handle

I think that all of the ends are machined to match the carbide insert. I just ordered a Boss off of their page and it ships tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

·
3,937 Posts
Tewltime is correct, however, you can build your own handle by drilling and tapping a piece of steel rod. I think there are few details out there somewhere on the thread size and cap screw. I know I read a post on a DYI version a few months back. Once you have a handle, you can also make your own special ends. Just a little hill for a mountain climber like you Bobby. I'm pretty sure you could make and sell a few if you had the time.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Richard - did you get the round, square or both?

·
3,937 Posts
Richard - did you get the round, square or both?
I got the 1/2 round, it cuts the profile, and then it's the perfect size to cut the lanyard groove. Notice how all my calls now have a pefect 1/2 groove at the top ? If I was to get a second one I think it would be the triangle, but all three would be SWEET.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts