2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll, real new to this forum, just had a fews questions. Came a cross some dolphin on a weed line about 15 miles out of Sabine. They really didn't seem to like the live mullet we were using, everything else did except the jacks, but really wasn't interested in them either. Had a blast, just would have been nice to add dolphin to the catch. We did catch 2 kings in the 25-30# range lots of shark and some spanish, one lonely 17" snap, oh and some good redfish that we threw back. Really want the dolphin and ling. Try again this Sunday.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have had my best luck with a freelined squid tied directly to mono. Hasn't failed yet. A silver spoon also works, as do larger sabiki rigs. Several guys have posted good luck with speck rigs. Also, when they get into a frenzy have one guy unhooking for everyone. He might miss out on some of the catching fun but will be to tired to complain at the end of the blood bath. And that is first hand experience, I was the guy a couple of trips ago.

Victor

·
Registered
113 Posts
Use an arrowhead jig in Red / White or Chart / White in 1-2 oz.

Tip it with a piece of squid or half a bally.

Chum up the dorado to get them excited, if there are bulls around, large (whole) pieces of chum get them competitive.

Pitch tipped jig to the edge of the weedline and let it sink out of sight.

Reel back in quickly while jigging the rod tip.

FWIW, I prefer 20-40 lb flouro, and if you can pick a bull out, you can sight cast the jig right across his nose, be sure and work the jig quickly.

Best of luck.

·
Firm Member
1,966 Posts
My sons and I went out yesterday in search if them and found some pretty finicky dolphin on both (the only 2) of the weed patches we found. Squid halves normally get them started well. Once the first one is hooked, that rod is set in a rod holder and squid baits are pitched around that one for almost guaranteed frenzy hookups.

We couldn't get more than 2 or 3 at a time. Real finicky for some reason. So we got closer to the weeds, soaked sabiki rigs at the up current edges of the weeds and tried to match the hatch. The little fish that look like hardtails in shape but are tiger striped (dont know the name) were picked up easily on the sabiki rigs. When we free lined them after drifting back from the weeds, we whacked the dolphin. Also picked up a couple on yozuri crystal minnows. Came home with 12. The largest bull about 46 inches, 4 more 36-40 and a few bigger chickens-26-28.

You just gotta try what you've got in the box and what is swimming nearby. You never know what drives them, but when you find it, GAME ON! But they like fast food as fast as you can reel the yozuri.

Erik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts