2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the game and starting to look for a kayak. Main purpose is dropping bait from the surf. What is a reasonable type of kayak to start out with. My gut says to go cheap from academy. Will a cheapy work getting through the surf? Or should I pursue a better one? Hoping to find one before the weekend. Any ideas?

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
We're in the same situation. After testing a friend's yak and getting the bug, it was recommended to try before you buy.

My immediate suggestion would be to call or go by http://www.windsurfingsports.com. They have the largest selection of the popular models, and they rent them. $35 per day, with up to $100 rental credit toward the purchase of one.

I'm picking one up Friday afternoon and returning it before noon on Sunday, and only getting charged one day.

If you're going to High Island, between the piers with everyone this Saturday, you're welcome to stop by and try the Hobie Quest. Maybe you could get a different model, and we could try each others. If you need suggestions on a different model, PM me. My husband has a spreadsheet on the models, features, etc, and I'm sure he could let you know #2, #3, etc. on the list.

Regards,
Pam

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
you can also get demos from sun and ski, i recomend call the local one or going on line and looking at what they have for demo, i think sun and ski is the cheapest, i think i paid 35 for the whole weekend. Try REI they have rentals too. Little more expensive but they have a good selection.

Josh

·
# 314
524 Posts
Try before you buy is the best thing you can do.Cheap is not the way to go.If you go with Academy I would strongly suggest to stay away from the Pelican ViperX.That is a good yak for calm water but not for the surf.I speak from experience.Some Academy stores are now stocking a few different brands.
If you want something by this weekend,go rent one.Like Bay Gal said.There is a group getting together at High Island this weekend to kayak the surf.From my experience most folks there would be glad to let you try theirs out when they are not using it.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Hey Krash, Hope you can join us. Pam's got a new 555 we need to break in right!
Maybe we can get F.A.T. and "Hot Foot" to come down as well.
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kayaks

Big Surely,

I would also recommend you try out a kayak before buying one. There are so many brands out there, you should rent one or try one out at FISHING TACKLE UNLIMITED (Ask for RUBEN) or some other place that might have a pool to paddle in. Another place to get information on and/or about the different kayaks out there is ...

[url]http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/index.php[/url] There are a lot of people on this site that offer some great advice and ideas. There's a Classified Ads section thre where you might also get a very good buy on a kayak, maybe even one that is fully rigged too!

Also, there's Sun & Ski Sports , REI, Bass Pro Shops, and Wind Surf & Paddle Sports, and a lot of others out there to check out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently shopped for a kayak and after trying various models the Ocean Kayak Frenzy was the ticket. It's short (9ft), easy to manuver, easy to carry, very stable in the water and reasonably affordable. Academy does sell them at some locations. We bought ours at wind and surf on Nasa rd 1. Don't skomp on a paddle either. That's critical. Get a good one from the surk ski shops.

I got mine just for running baits out in the surf so I didn't need or want storage compartments, but it had to be very stable and the Frenzy is just that. These kayaks can get real expensive so decide what you are going to use it for and get the right one the first time. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dropping bait!

Thanks everyone. You sure make a new guy feel welcome. I have been reading this board for some time now and the people on here are great.

Like someone suggested I will try and rent something for this weekend. The Ocean Frenzy sounds like a good place to start. I live on the north side of town and there is a place over here that rents them. Not sure on the cost yet and what they have.

I am going to High Island on Saturday late and plan on staying the night with a few other newbies. We will be out past the barricade trying to figure this paddling bait thang out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like jdclaw said....check out www.texaskayakfisherman.com

LOTs of knowledge on that site! The Ocean Frenzy is a great kayak for the surf and running out baits, but if you intend on doing any long paddling at all, the Frenzy is not what you want....it will wear you out quick due to the fact that it is stubby and wide. Fishing Tackle Unlimited has a demo pool to try out all of there kayaks. In reference to sun & ski....I went to the one on Westheimer last night and they only had 4 paddles in stock....2 carlisle rs magic and 2 other carlisle paddles....I wasn't impressed! REI has WAY too much stuff, but they are pretty proud of it too. I highly recommend paying the extra $15 dollars at REI to be a coop member. You get 10% off everything with that....including high dollar items like kayaks and paddles....once you figure out what you want...don't forget to check ebay. What ever it takes to save a buck or two...I'm feeling that REI thinks all kayakers are rich folks...lol.
Seems like they'd sell ALOT more gear if they dropped the prices abit...just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Definitely try before you buy.
Here is what I recommend you look for in a yak.

First, its got to be stable. You can't yak a bait in a boat you can't stay in.

Second, get as fast a yak as you can, maneuverability is not important in a bait deploying yak. Getting through the surf is. A short maneuverable yak is slow and will limit you to casting on some days when a longer faster yak will make it out to where your bait should be. Any yak I've ever been in, is plenty maneuverable for bait deployment.

The only place you can try a yak and really know how its going to do, is in rough surf conditions. A pool will only tell you if its stable or not in smooth water. Only the surf will tell you about the other quirks a yak can have. Some of these quirks can make a smooth riding pool yak into a not so smooth dump you in the water beast.
One trick to watch for, is a skinny bow yak can sink the bow into the bar when a wave picks up the stern on the way in. End over end is not a fun way to wipe out. A yak with a wider bow will not do this so bad, because the bow floats better. Length doesn't have that much to do with the bow sinking into the bar on the way in, contrary to some people's opinion.
How well a yak tracks is also of some importance. Bait deployment is a straight out, drop the bait, and return to the beach trip. A very maneuverable yak requires constant course corrections to stay on course, while going through the surf. A longer less maneuverable yak, IMHO does a much better job of staying on course. Very maneuverable yaks are built for playing in the surf and do very good at that. But this is about bait deployment, not playing in the surf. Even the least maneuverable yaks, turn plenty fast for bait deployment. My only issue with long yaks is they are harder to transport to the beach. They are generally a little more expensive than the shorter ones also.
My bottom line advice is, rent several different yaks and try them on days when conditions are bad. On days when conditions are good, just about any yak that is stable works great, its the days when the surf is 3-4 ft or higher that you see all the bad sides of a yak. 5ft and higher surf is for the hard core adrenaline junkies.
BTW: A good wet suit extends your yakking season to almost the entire year, if you are on the Texas coast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
and from the keyboard of gundoc comes much wisdom! Well said! Here's another thought. I think most folks that start kayak fishing don't spend much or anytime PRACTICING AND IMPROVING their kayak surfing skills.....It is a skill for sure! The first time you feel that bow go way down on a long yak as the wave is spilling you...your heart goes straight to your stomach. No matter who you are or what kind of yak you have...if you fish off the beach you have to come in through the surf. Those of us that have more of a touring yak as opposed to a Frenzy type yak have to learn to deal with the surf return trip being abit more dicey. Learning to surf a yak diagonally on the break is a real trick. It takes alot of practice. The bottom line here is that if you get rolled in the surf...which is gonna happen to the best anyway....you stand the chance of losing your gear, breaking a rod or anything in between. Coming in dry, with all your stuff is the best way to finish off a successful fishing outting.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Something Re Ed taught me about surfing a yak. When the stern starts to lift as the yak begins to take off, lean back and put one blade of your paddle in the water beside the stern, to use as a rudder. That makes it much easier to cut across the face of the wave. A paddle blade in the water working as a rudder, would even make a 20 ft log somewhat maneuverable.
The funny thing is, Ed didn't know he was giving yak surfing lessons that day. LOL
Moral: Keep your eyes on the other guys as they come and go yaking baits, you'll learn what works for them. AND you'll also learn what don't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts