2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 rent houses and for the most part all pay on time and have been good tennants. What is the protocol for a xmas gift? I was thinking a gift card to walmart for maybe $20. Am I crazy? Should I just have my wife bake som cookies or do nothing?

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I have never thought of that but great idea for good tenants. Both of your ideas are good and that feels like about the right $$ range.
RT

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU..
A nice Christmas card that says thanks and a $20 gift card for Lowes. They might buy something to beautify the house.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
We rented the first two years here before we bought. Landlord gave us $300.00 each year. I was very suprised and pleased.
Tight Knot

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it makes a difference maybe it doesn't the rent for the houses range from 775-1100. Should I give more to the ones who pay more? Or the same for all?

·
Registered
550 Posts
My wife and I currentky rent and last year our landlord sent us a card with a $25 giftcard to Home Depot. We really appreciated it and bought a new light fixture for the house. It wasn't the amount that mattered it was the fact that he took time to show his appreciation and do that. I think it is a great idea and if nothing else a card is nice this time of year.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
A nice card and a ham. Krogers has a good fully cooked spiral ham for a good price $20-$25. Wrapped in gold or red foil. I give them sometimes to people for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Nice gesture low cost that doesn't break the bank. A card and small gift will say alot. That you thought of them will go a long way. May make them an even better renter.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I send a Christmas card...

but nothing else. There really is no protocol for this. I might think of knocking off their late charge for Dec!! Not to be a tard, but my mortgage company doesn't send me anything for contributing to their investment.

I have had a couple of really good tenants that I gave something to....but a really good tenant is pretty few and far between! It is kind of hard to be generous when they pay late on a regualar basis. As we speak, I am owed about 3500 past due.

Later
R3F

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,582 Posts
Im impressed, never had a landlord do that and I rented for 15 years when i was a younger man. Very nice of you, the $ amount is totally up to you, as for your investment, and a couple of the comments here, its jujst that an investment!! Does your bank give you a monetary xmas gift? Hell No

·
Why knot?
1,607 Posts
I think it all depends on how well off you are factored in with how good the renters are. If you have more money than you can ever spend, why not give the really good tenants a free months rent? You would not only feel good about yourself, you would also retain those really good renters and maybe make them, and their families have a much merrier Christmas.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
I have 7 rent houses and for the most part all pay on time and have been good tennants. What is the protocol for a xmas gift? I was thinking a gift card to walmart for maybe $20. Am I crazy? Should I just have my wife bake som cookies or do nothing?
i don't think there is any protocol for giving renters a christmas gift, but if they are good renters and you appreciate them, i think a gift card of a modest amount (say, $50), or some food and/or desserts would be a nice and appreciated gesture. go for it.

i rented a few houses back in my younger days, and we were always excellent tenants, but i don't recall any of my landlords ever giving me anything other than a headache.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I would base it on the rent they pay...maybe 10% of their monthly rent.
I will commend you and greenie to ya. I rented for 3 years before buying from a landlord (not a corporation) and never got a break or a gift of any kind. Always paid on time or early (and struggled to do so as a young adult starting a family). NOT that a gift was ever expected...it never even crossed my mind, but just wanted to re-emphasize what an awesome gesture this is no matter what you decide to give.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts