2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boat trailer kind, not the female kind. I need to get a winch for my boat, 20' Grady with Suzuki 225 2 stroke. Hull is 1995lbs and is sitting on a Sportsman tandem trailer. Academy sells everything from 800# single to 2000# 2 speed winches. I'm considering the 1500-1800# Fulton (largest Fulton they carry) as I don't want to buy the Marine Raider brand is since its made in China and probably a POS. Is the 1500-1800# Fulton enough? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You looking at electric or manual. 1800 lb sounds light to me for that weight. You'll need to float the boat onto the trailer 80 percent. If you get in abind and need a little extra you won't have it.

Good luck, jdot

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone at the hull truth suggested a winch rated at 1/2 of the weight of the boat. So, I'm guessing a 2k lb winch would be fine as the hull is just under 2k lbs, the motor is probably 600 lbs, which leaves another 1400lbs for fuel, gear, etc.... I really don't have to do much winching as I typically can drive almost right up to the bow stop.

Is Fulton a decent brand? I have heard of them for a long time but someone acted as though they weren't any good. I'm scared of the Marine Raider stuff since its made in China and is probably pretty cheaply made. Trying to burn up a couple Academy gift cards that I got for X-mas.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
Yeah, I already know what size I like in those (5'04"-110lbs)!!!
Do you know where to get them in that size? All I can find is the larger models :rolleyes:.

Now, to your original question...I have an academy winch on my boat and it has held up fine and the 2000# one will be overkill.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know where to get them in that size? All I can find is the larger models :rolleyes:.

Now, to your original question...I have an academy winch on my boat and it has held up fine and the 2000# one will be overkill.
Man, those little winches are everywhere, just find a local mall or clothing retailer and your set!!!! BTW, what brand winch from Academy do you have, is it the Fulton or Marine Raider. If 2k lbs is overkill, I may get the Fulton 1800 lb as its the largest Fulton they sell and its made in the good ol' USA. Do I really need a 2 speed winch like everyone says? I'm only winching a few feet at most typically.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
I am pretty sure it is a fulton and it was the bottom of the line... I was in a bind and had a buddy pick one up for me and he got the cheapest one they had and it works fine. However, if the boat is not on the rails quite right you have to crank the h#ll out of it but it gets the job done. BTW, I have a 21 kenner.

Also, make sure it is galvanized.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
get the fulton and galvanized, rub some bearing grease inside the spool before you fill it up.

soak it down w corrosion-x , every time it gets dry.

try to find that super duty flat strap, academy does not sell them.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

I can tell you where they aren't, and that's Rubys near Fowlerton/Cotula...they go 200+ on the hoof out there!!!

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
It depends.

Are you driving on and just snugging down? In that case any old winch will work. Are you having to crank the last three-four feet? Then I would go overcapacity with a two speed Fulton. I used to drive on all the way, but the ramp I use now doesnt work right for that so I just get up on the boards and winch the rest of the way. And that takes a good low ratio winch with a heavy strap. I have a 22.5 foot boat and the Fulton 3200 lb winch. You can get them on line several places.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotcha, I primarily drive up within a foot or two, then just crank it on up. I guess I was under the impression that a smaller winch may let go or break while going down the road. If its all about pulling power and not so much about holding power, I think a 2k lbs winch should be more than enough. thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts