2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of selling my bass boat and buying a boat that is seaworthy. I can't afford the big 36ft boats that drink a keg in an hour. I'm looking for a boat that can go at least a few miles out on a moderate day. What is the minimum length and horsepower you guys recommend. I own a 20ft Triton with a 200hp outboard but I know a center console would be best in the ocean. I am from Dallas so I would only hit the gulf maybe once or twice a year. Fish mostly on Lewisville and Texoma for stripers and hybrids. Your input would be appreciated.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
If you want a boat for bluewater only I would reccommend at least a 24'er.. and the more beam you can get the better. It is amazing how much difference one foot of beam makes when you are at rest or tied off.

If you also want to fish inshore (which may be smart as far as you are traveling) you could get by with a 21' and just take it offshore on 3' or less days. There are plenty of inshore spots to fish in a deep V hull... you just have to idle in and out of some of them for a ways. There is not a perfect boat for the coast that we have found... we have 3 and need more! LOL

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
21 Contender..easy on the gas, to trailer,to launch,and still can honestly run on plane in 3'ers- by a kingfish tourney prize boat - best deal out there and will out ride any other 21' boat on the market hands down..

·
No fish in West Bay
5,621 Posts
Ono Loco said:
21 Contender..easy on the gas, to trailer,to launch,and still can honestly run on plane in 3'ers- by a kingfish tourney prize boat - best deal out there and will out ride any other 21' boat on the market hands down..
That's an excellent recommendation. You fish pretty big lakes and of course when you go offshore you are in THE lake. Top notch choice of a boat. Coming from a guy that has a Fountain, that should mean something...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hey Ono, You trying to get rid of yours, so you can buy mine. I know how you like a 18 degree stable boat. You beat me to the punch, but if he wants a little more length, as well as beam, there's a hot 23'11"-8'11" beam Hydrasport w/Yammie 225 4 stroke for sale as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If You Are Only Going To Fish Once Or Twice A Year, I Would Hire A Guide. Keep Your Bass Boat.

Reactions: Argo

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
CHICKENCHASER said:
If You Are Only Going To Fish Once Or Twice A Year, I Would Hire A Guide. Keep Your Bass Boat.
I couldn't agree more, this way it will be much cheaper and all around makes more since. If yo uare planning on hitting the blue water only a few times a year you really aren't going to ahve the expierence to know where the fish are hiding. Thats an awful long haul to not catch a thing. Plus with a guide you will not have to worry about all the maintanence that is involved with bigger offshore boats.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Nice Boat

This is a nice boat we had him out on the campeche with it:)

mahiseeker said:
Hey Ono, You trying to get rid of yours, so you can buy mine. I know how you like a 18 degree stable boat. You beat me to the punch, but if he wants a little more length, as well as beam, there's a hot 23'11"-8'11" beam Hydrasport w/Yammie 225 4 stroke for sale as well.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
if you're big on lewisville and texoma stripers, you might look at the 25' Trophys............. they're cheap compared to all others, and they'd be fine for an occasional trip to the coast......... but when i came thru in the spring, i looked like barber boats had closed shop

a big walkaround cuddy or CC would have you covered for texoma, whitney, hubbard, possum kingdom, etc,.......

all this assuming you don't bass fish anymore......... just chase stripers

that was my thought when i lived in Dallas, but now that's ancient history

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
For the fuel and wear (unless you have a diesel PU) it will cost you to tow a bigger boat from dallas to the coast, hire a fishing trip that will have guaranteed results.. Invest the boat money and use the profits for a nice trip once to Belize or something once a year..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Make a friend

I honestly believe that you could hitch a ride about as much as you want to fish. I would sell my boat if my friends with boats hadn't sold their boats first. Now they pay for fuel and I'm still stuck with all the other bills. :( Smart thing is to make a friend who has a boat....or several friends. The math is a no brainer!
Owning an offshore boat make absolutely no economic sense whatsoever. Not even the accountants at Enron could make sense out of that deal.

gostomskij said:
Yep, save yourself the $$$$. Once or twice, get a guide or hitch a ride with one of the many on this forum who need an extra body.

Victor

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I partially disagree, Sometimes its not all about the money saved but the experience. Yeah I know its cheaper to pay a guide than to own an offshore boat for those of us that live 250 plus miles away. I personally love the learning and exploring with the fish catch being the bonus. Every trip is different with different fish being caught. I could buy fish at HEB much cheaper and when ever I want so its up to the individual to decide what makes him happy. I have a 2001 ProLine 20' Sport that measures 21'8" or the same as most manufacturers 22' boats. It has a 150 Mercury and in 1-3 ft seas I can run 35mph without a severe beating. I have taken it out in 5' plus seas but that was one hell of a rough wet ride. The boat handled it fine but the three of us were tired and sore when we finally found some BF Tuna. I can tell you that it is as big a boat as you want to pull with a gasoline vehicle yet its big enough to take offshore in good weather. With the fuel prices being so high you can still afford to feed it. I always try to get a couple of fishing buddies to go in on a trip and split everything three ways. My wife and kids love the boat in local lakes for boating, tubing and such. I always wash the boat and run it in fresh water after its been in the saltwater. Its stored under cover and so far have had no problems with it.

Keith

1 - 20 of 24 Posts