2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 or 90 Evinrude 115 on my boat

I need to pick up a new battery tomorrow on the way to Crystal Beach.

What size battery should I buy?

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
I'd say, measure the base area where the battery will go and get the biggest, baddest crankyest battery that will fit in that space.

·
11,765 Posts
A 650 or higher marine cranking amp battery ought to do it. But go as high as possible. Less wear and tear on the battery and starter. Mine are 800s or 850s.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
buy you a yellow or blue top optima, cost a little more, but your worries will be over for quite some time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You can use a deep cycle for cranking

It just wont spin the motor quite as fast but as long as you have enough cranking amps there will not be a problem.

I would go for a group 27 battery if you have the room, they are only a inch or two wider than the group 24 and will give you a couple hundred more cranking amps.

The best marine battery I have ever found is the AC/Delco Voyager, they make three different sizes of deep-cycle and a group 24 cranking. These batteries are completly sealed, never need water and have a very low discharge rate. They are built much better than your average battery and will last 4 or 5 years, they also have a built-in Hydrometer so you can glance at the battery and see how much of a charge it has.

I have not researched those cool looking Optima batteries but they look like a good option, AC Delco's can be ordered from any GM dealer, I paid $75 for my Group 24 deep cycle and $85 for the Group 27, they make a huge Group 31 or 32 that is big with the bass guys and their trolling motors, would also make a great house battery.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Bigger can be better, you can use anything at least 525 crank amps. Deep cycle batt. are built to deliver lower current rate over a prolonged period,and be drawn down almost completely and recharged. Starting batt. are biult for a high current discharge for a short period. Both types will work in either application but you will affect the batt. life by using it in a wrong application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts