2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of ambassadeur 7000 reels to use near gulf type fishing around the jetties and rigs. What would be the best rod combo for these reels. Looking at using 25 to 30 pound test.

·
One day at a time!!
803 Posts
The All-Star Gulfstream rods at Academy are pretty decent rods for the price. I also like the Bass Pro Ocean Master Kingfish rod. There are a million options out there, just depends how much you want to spend.

·
Motorhead
183 Posts
Falcon Coastal Series - Tarpon Special

I prefer cork handles/grip so I use a 6'10" Falcon Tarpon Special with my 7000.
A lot of back bone and good if you are using fairly heavy terminal tackle or jigs (2-5 oz)
They are about $100 at Gander Mtn or FTU

K

·
Angler Emeritus
238 Posts
A Real Stiffy

While perhaps discontinued, I like the Castaway Kingfish Rod. Cut Rate makes one too, that I've never used. The Extra Heavy or Heavy Heavy (depending on the year) Fenwick or Falcon graphite rods also do the trick. They have to have the strong backbone, though. You can't go wrong with the basic Penn Slammer for the money (but it will break on you at some point).

·
Registered
719 Posts
gander mountain makes sum guide series rods that will be great and are around 100 bucks also they come with a 2 year warranty but will take them back long after that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts