I am going to start yaking out on the surf. I have a penn 114 HLW 6/0
loaded with 50lb test. should I use a long serf rod (10') or a short hevy
boat rod?

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
seen'm all

I've seen everything used. LOL

Stand up rods are handy to move down with a good fish.
I've used quality 10 ft Harringtons.
A lot of guys run 8'6" one piece.
Some use long rods w. the butt cut down for a gimbel.

Catfish has some great deals too.

I prefer to avoid rollers in the sand. IMO

Some reel seats won't hold a 12/0. BTW

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
I like short rods, if weed is a problem you can use an uprigger to get it higher. The short rod will give you a little easier fight, the longer the rod the more leverage the fish has on you and your arms can wear out. So far my rollers are OK, but like Inc I worry about them in the sand and will likely not purchase anymore roller rods as they do have to be maintained so they don't lock up on you when you're fighting the fish of a lifetime.

Sharkhunter, that would have to be one loooong top shot! I prefer to use spectra backing with mono topshot, then yak the bait far enough out so the mono dissappears and it's all braid going into the water.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Surffishwant2B said:
I am going to start yaking out on the surf. I have a penn 114 HLW 6/0
loaded with 50lb test. should I use a long serf rod (10') or a short hevy
boat rod?
I'm a fan of short rods. Unless you are casting,
Long rods give the fish all the advantage in a fight and work you to death because of the leverage issue.
If you are worried about getting up over weed in the first gut, use a up rigger or a kite. Ain't no 10-12ft surfrod can compete with a 20ft rigger for fighting weed and a kite does a even better job.
For 50# class, a 7ft rod is about max for me. With 80#, 6 ft is plenty of rod.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You can take a short rod with spectra and set a good weight and you will have very little sag in the line which means the line enters the water at a greater distance from the beach. It also cuts though the weed better than mono. I use a 300yrd top shot of 65lb powerpro when the weed is bad and set them at a 45 deg angle to the beach with a good weight. I also drop down to only two rods. It's what works for me , to each his own.

I know one thing if its bad enough it does not matter what you do. Like TJ I think I'll start fishing from my yak when it's that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts