Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time Warner knocks on my door this morning and tells me they need to bring
cable across my lawn.They started on the corner of my property with a 3' deep
and 1' wide path.
Do I have the right to just say No!

·
<***********>< Fish on.
3,101 Posts
If you dont already have one, see if you can get them to let you put in a sprinkler system while they are digging trenches. :)

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
I would certainly ask them what they would do if you refused. I would also be trying to make some deals for them messing up your yard. Free service for a year, something like that. Seems like the ball is in your court to get something good out of it:) Our yard is full of PVC from the sprinkler system so TWC would need to explain themselves along with offering me something for the hassle. With out a doubt.

·
Registered
802 Posts
jamesf888 said:
If they are in the easement area , then there's nothing you can do about it.
I agree. Pull out the plat of your property that you should've received when you closed on your house. The easements should be clearly outlined.

·
Registered
384 Posts
They do have the right to install cable in the easement, but you'd think they would make every effort to put things back they way they found it.

Right of Imminent Domain? Any lawyers out there?

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Dude...I used to install this for Time Warner when the RoadRunner internet service 1st came out.

If you have a technician out there digging a 3' deep by 1' wide trench...he is an idiot, or you are extremely exaggerating.

The "trench" we would dig was with a "sharp-shooter" shovel. Stick it in the ground as deep as it would go (about 1' usually) and push it over to one side exposing about a 4-6" wide trench. We laid the cable in and then pushed the "trench" closed with our feet. You couldn't even tell we had been there when we finished.

1' Wide x 3' Deep is ridiculous and I can't see any lazy Time Warner/Comcast technician taking the time to dig a trench like this.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Easement! I have an almost 8' wide path across the back of my back yard that is all easement. Not much you can do about it.

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
Fishdaze said:
Easement! I have an almost 8' wide path across the back of my back yard that is all easement. Not much you can do about it.
So do I and thats why it's there, so they can supply with gas, electric and cable. They are installing new fiber for cable all around the houston area. Movement causes friction:spineyes:

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Easment is simply easment and they can trench where they want in that area.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
They Just May. A Lot Of Times The City Will Have An Easement Along The Street, Btwn You And Your Nieghbor And Along The Back Side. This Easement Is Usually 10-20' Wide And Is For Any Type Of Utilities. Check With A City Official Involved With That Project And Check Your Plot Plan.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I am in the Underground Construction Business(15yrs.) That is an easement for utlility lines and such. They have every right to be there. With your permission or without it. If you choose to not let them in your yard They have the right to Call the Police and then they will be let in to your yard. And probaly will not be very careful then not to mess things up.
The only thing you have a right to have in the easement is grass. They do not have to replace trees/landscaping, structures/ concrete, etc. Most including Us try our VERY BEST to treat your property with Respect and Leave it how we found it. In most cases our crew puts a yard back together so well, that you can hardly even tell we were there. Most Homeowners are very pleased when we leave. We make a point to ask them if all is ok. And if it is not we try to please them if possible. They are bringing new technology to you and your neighbors faster internet better TV. Be respectful let them do their job and they will respect you also.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
if you really feel like getting under the their skin - you don't have to allow them access from the street to the easement (if the easement is in your backyard - most will try to come up the driveway)

Centerpoint's major hackjob treetrimmers are the only ones I've ever not allowed to cross the non-easement portion of the yard. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts