2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted a small parcel near Sweeny for the past few years. Low area, mostly wooded w/some clearings. Occasionally while sitting in the stand I hear a sound like a hard exhale. Not a snort or a grunt, more like just a heavy breath. Usually hear it 2 or 3 times then nothing else. I have always thought it was some kind of bird. But this morning I heard it and then a crash. Then another breath and another crash.

My bro-in-law said maybe bobcat, which we have seen on the trailcam pics, but I'm still stumped. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Bobcats dont crash around.... They are stealthy creatures and rarely make any noise when they travel through the woods....

Im pretty sure its a bird... without actually hearing the sound, its hard to know what you are describing.... but I have similar birds that do the same thing around me in East Texas..... usually right at daylight or dark....

Orrrrrrrr, maybe you just need to stay out of Taco Bell???? hahahahaa

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Can't say I have ever heard anything like that, but as justinsfa says it isn't a bobcat. Those things walk on cotton!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sounds like you got busted by a whitetail doe. They will usually make a loud whoosh type of noise and stamp their foot when they smell or see something that they do not like. It does not sound like a grunt, more like someone blowing their nose real hard for a very short duration.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Sounds like you got busted by a whitetail doe. They will usually make a loud whoosh type of noise and stamp their foot when they smell or see something that they do not like. It does not sound like a grunt, more like someone blowing their nose real hard for a very short duration.
and when he says loud, its VERY loud.... Its kind of high pitched and nasaly.

Kinda similar to this.... Click on the sound on the right titled Roe Deer Calls. The whitetail doe is higher pitched though, but still similar.

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Deer_Sounds_audio.aspx

I would also like to mention that if this is the source of the sound, it is not a good sign. The doe has been alerted to danger when it makes that sound. Try using a scent elimination product or system and see if it helps. Or, you may be moving around too much....

·
Registered
263 Posts
x2--- I have been busted a few times but the first time I was like you, didnt know what it was until the sun went down and I shined my light on her and saw her blow at me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and when he says loud, its VERY loud.... Its kind of high pitched and nasaly.

Kinda similar to this.... Click on the sound on the right titled Roe Deer Calls. The whitetail doe is higher pitched though, but still similar.

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Deer_Sounds_audio.aspx

I would also like to mention that if this is the source of the sound, it is not a good sign. The doe has been alerted to danger when it makes that sound. Try using a scent elimination product or system and see if it helps. Or, you may be moving around too much....
Thanks. It doesn't sound just like that, but I buy that it is probably a spooked doe. The 7yr-old boy in my stand makes it hard to be real stealthy.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
SOUND???

Short fast exhale = Doe busted you.
Slow long exhale = Big Rattle Snake
especially this time of year. They'll make a long exhale noise and sound
almost like an Alligator. Normally happens when they are lathargic and in need of some sunning and an animal comes too close to them and rattling/striking is not an option to them due to being cold. Seen and heard them do this several times. The crash you heard could have been a ****, rat, coyote jumping away from the snake.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hogs will make a similar sound when one bust you as well. Sometimes when one does it a few more will chime in just to make sure the little ones are getting the message. What really sucks is to climb down from your tree stand in the dark, then hear a low growl right behind you, turn around and be within 10' of a 250 or more pound boar, and you standing in his way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts