2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HookedEm
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I bit the bullet and ponied up for the Accurate 870XNC. This will be used primarily for YFT and Amberjack (overnight floater trips in the gulf). I'm planning on using it for chunking as well as jigging. My question to you guru's, what rod do I pair this with? I'll probably spool it up with 65lb braid (Jerry Brown hollow core??). I want a pretty good rod and don't want it to be like putting Michelins on a Yugo, if you know what I mean. Any recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
i can build you most any weight spiral that you might want, a calstar blank would be your best bet, just give me a call to discuss then you can decide.
i build these from 6ft on up you will like the spiral action and performance.
stix
please visit me at www.billystix.com

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
With a rod of that line class, you should definitely consider a spiral wrap. Any rod where you have the possibility of "hooked up" with a fish for more than a couple of minutes, a spiral will greatly reduce angler fatigue, from the rod's tendency to torque and twist to the underside. Under full load, you would be able to open the foregrip hand due to the lack of twist in the rod. I don't recommend this, but it gives you the idea. Once people get over how strange it looks, production rods will begin to offer this type rod. Think of the lack of torque and twist in a "loaded up" spinning rod and it is the same principle, only using conventional revolving spool reels. Currently, I believe only "one off' production rod builders and custom rod builders are the only source for this type of wrap........Calstar blanks are good stuff, so is Seeker.

·
fish control my brain
7,736 Posts
Savage Rods....site sponser.....I have 3 of his and plan on getting more

Call Don Savage

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Chris Gonzales mentioned he has a new batch of 600 gram jigging rods on the way! Sea Magic rods are pretty **** nice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts