2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, got the new 8 wt. setup, looking to hear from all you experts out there on what test leader and tippet works best.
Mainly wading the clear water in the lower laguna.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Brad -

Get yourself some spools of 20 lb., 16 lb, 12 lb, 10 lb & 8 lb Umpqua Saltwater tippet/ leader material. Use about 3' of the 20, then 2' of each of the others using a blood knot to connect the sections, and clip the tags of your knots close. The butt section of your now tapered leader can be joined to your main line using a nail-less nail knot, or a nail-knot. I always put a little superglue or zap-a-gap glue on that nail knot. This will save you money in the long run, because those tapered leaders will kill you in price. What a lot of people will also do is buy a tapered, fish it and carry only the 8, 10 & 12 tippet materials to replace what is broken off. I have fished Umpqua in both the fresh and the salt for over 20 years and feel very confident recommending that particular one.

Tight lines!

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I finally found some tapered 16 lb leaders. And will just use similiar tippet weights. I also picked up some fluro stuff to try also. We'll see how it goes after I learn to cast the new rig. !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts