2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showed up at the feeder Saturday night on a scouting expidition, are they any good to eat or just make a nice mount?

Sorry but this is the best I can do for now...

Thanks in Advance
FN

Attachments

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Looks like a corsican to me as well. Not much for eating, but they make a good mount. If you think he is going to stick around I would let him get a little bigger. If you don't think he will stick around, he's a shooter and you need to give him a case of lead poisoning.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
It looks kind of like an Aoudad too in the face but its very hard to tell, it has a very nice curl which would indicate maybe a nice trophy. Where was the pic taken? What part of Texas? Aoudads are plentiful here in Texas but either those or the Corsican rams are NOT worth eating as far as I'm concerned. They make good mounts though, if you shoot him get as much of the cape as possible.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks like a corsican for sure! They aren't much on the table; however I hate to kill things and not eat anything off of it. They make an awesome pot roast, but thats the only way I've found them to eat good in. FUn to hunt with archery gear.

~JB

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Definitely a corsican, red phase. Mouflon horns turn in, and doesn't look anything like an aoudad.

·
15,098 Posts
I thought corsican and barbado was the same thing. I've shot several of those in the hill country and some people called corsican and some barbado,about like on this site. I tried to eat them everyway I could and they were'nt worth a dern, But make nice mounts.

R.R....

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Definitely a Corsican (Barbado same thing). A hybrid sheep that originated in Texas about 40 years ago. It is Barbados Black Belly crossed with a Rambouillet sheep and a Mouflon. There are mnay color phases and each is commonly refered to by a different name.

Corsican - Brown with black or white belly and a dark mane.

Texas Dall - All white color phase.

Black Hawaiian - All black color phase

Painted Desert - tri-colored black, white and brown.

Some times you even get crossed versions that have distinct characteristics of one or the other color phase.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Barbado/Corsican, I'm pretty sure they are pretty much the same things.
Not real great to eat. Make cool skull mounts.

Allot of land owners don't want them on thier place and will ask that you shoot them all. They will cross breed regular sheep and the lambs are only worth about half the price of a regular sheep if that. On our place we shoot every ewe we see to try and get rid of them. They are like feral hogs. Once they get established you can't hardly get rid of them and they are another non-native varmit that competes for forage with the whitetails. Unlike feral hogs or Axis they are not very good to eat.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Corsican /Barbado

Thanks for all the reply's

I think TXPalerider explained it best and also last year I heard he was spotted with another one. According to the decription it was a Black Hawaiian but he must have walked out in a not so friendly Hunter, or one with a Gun. :rotfl:

I'll let this guy walk, he would make a nice mount but seems like a waste of resource for me and don't have the room.

FN

·
Registered
298 Posts
Corsican....barbado are much smaller but look almost exactly the same...most barbado will never weigh more than 80 pounds. The best way to cook the meat is to make a big fire and go and find some flat rocks about 1 inch thick. Marinate the meat for a couple of hours in your fav marinade and put on the rocks on top of the fire...in about an hour throw away the meat and eat the rocks cause they are much better than the meat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.