2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife took this picture a few days ago, bird was in our front yard. This is in the heart of the Medical Center in Houston... Anyone know what this is?

I wondered why I hadn't seen any small animals around in a while! :)

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
got them in our hood too, they kill the hail outta the whitwewing doves... whitewings are everywhere and they have a happy full life here... I wish they'd get the dayum squirrels that get in my trash. LOL

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Some people I work for raise and race pigeons, they say the hawks have learned to tell when the race is gonna start and get a good meal..

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Got one of them boogers showing up here around 4 every afternoon. I feed a lot of birds and when the doves come in during the afternoon, he swoops down from the neighbors tree and grabs one of them. When he dives...all hell breaks loose, doves flying and hollering everywhere. Last month he scared one so much it banged in thru one of the window panes in my den and ended up almost in my lap. Gonna have to call JQ to come over with his BB gun I guess...

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I knew you would know! I would like to import some squirrel-eaters myself...

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Got one of them boogers showing up here around 4 every afternoon. I feed a lot of birds and when the doves come in during the afternoon, he swoops down from the neighbors tree and grabs one of them. When he dives...all hell breaks loose, doves flying and hollering everywhere. Last month he scared one so much it banged in thru one of the window panes in my den and ended up almost in my lap. Gonna have to call JQ to come over with his BB gun I guess...
I'd keep that idea under my hat :wink:

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
I've got pics I'll try to post this evening of a hawk that ran a dove into my upstairs window, splattered it, dove down to the sidewalk and sat there eating it...

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Shooting a hawk would be a bad idea...
I'd keep that idea under my hat :wink:
Pardon my ignorance...I wuz just kidding about shooting one of them...BUT..enlighten the old geezer. Are hawks a protected species or would I just be interfering with the food chain ? :confused:

Edit...hmmmm !!! Just answered my own question...Shore never knowed that....

"It is legally protected in Canada, Mexico and the United States by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act."

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
we have a huge red tail hawk in our neighborhood that frequently plucks scurrying squirrels off the telephone wires. Its neat to see. I think it may be the same hawk my neighbor captured, tamed, trained to hunt from his arm, and then released when he had to relocate up East. If I had any balls I'd go outside when she's around, whistle holding a chicken wing in my hand and see what happens. I don't have one of those leather thingys that they perch on though. :D

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I was on the third floor veranda here at the Inn a few weeks ago and one flew right overhead with an unfortunate mouse in its claws. LOL.. They are fearsome for sure!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I think we have a Coopers hawk that hangs around our office snacking on pigeons as well.

my boss and I were talking in his office and got to see him grab a pigeon - awesome!

·
Registered
405 Posts
It is illegal to harm, harass, or otherwise disturb raptors. The Migratory Bird Act of 1918 protects all North American raptors. Depending on the species and the severity of the act, fines can amount to $25,000 and/or jail time. It is even illegal to disturb a nest, occupied or not, or have a feather from a native migratory bird in your possession.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Oooops, looks like I was wrong on the ID, here is the correct answer from my dad..

"Red-shouldered hawk. The light bands on the tail are more gray on Cooper's."

So now we know...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I have tons of those are my house in Magnolia. Good to know the real name but I always called them "chicken hawks".

I love it when they get paired up and start screaming....

Also I have been noticing many owls at early morning before daylight. Predator birds are the greatest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts