2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is considering getting Lasik done. She is very interested but concerened about the possible side effects and just plain getting her eyes screwed up. All the information for Lasik lists the chances of side effects are very small. Has anyone had any regrets at having it done? Anyone had any bad side effects or problems?

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
6 years later and I still see better than 20/20 and the dry eyes and night blindness went away in about 4 months after the surgery.

·
Banned
652 Posts
6 years later and I still see better than 20/20 and the dry eyes and night blindness went away in about 4 months after the surgery.
Any reason to wait .... Such as maybe my eyes aren't finished changing at 44 yrs old?????
I went from my first RX of 2004 to bi-focals in 2008. Seems pretty drastic to me and changing alot...Maybe the surgery stops all of that?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
After wearing Coke bottle glasses for 47 years, I decided to have it done. I went the monovision route, one eye fixed for distance and one for close up. It's been 5 years since the surgery and I'm still 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right. No problems and no regrets.

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Christie had both her eyes done 6 or 7 years ago. Originally corrected to 20/20, its slightly off that now, but still pretty darn close. She wears rx glasses at night...I think they are placebo though..

She is happy

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had mine done about three years ago by Dr. January out of Houston, The only side affect that bothers me is the driness of the eyes when being outdoors. I use artificial tears to remedy the driness. I have 20/20 vision with improved night vision post surgery. Hope this helps

·
Registered
50 Posts
lasik

My girlfriend is considering getting Lasik done. She is very interested but concerened about the possible side effects and just plain getting her eyes screwed up. All the information for Lasik lists the chances of side effects are very small. Has anyone had any regrets at having it done? Anyone had any bad side effects or problems?
I had it done a year ago and have no problems during daytime hours, but night time is another story. I have problems with seeing halos around lights and very dry eyes. I had very bad eye sight before the surgery and the doctors tells me that is the reason while I still see halos and will take some time for my eyes to heal completely. But overall, I would recommend it. It beats wearing contacts everyday.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My wife had hers done in January at Berkley in Katy and I had the same exact concerns as you. She could see better within hours of the surgery and is now better then 20/20 with no complications (dry eye/halos/etc).

Keep in mind you can save yourself a lot of money by paying for it through a Health Savings Acct at work. My wife found out pricing at the place she wanted it done, told work she wanted to put that money into her HSA and in January it was available and she had it done. She didn't have a pay a dime of tax on the $ she spent.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
PatFatDaddy

My understanding that if you have cataracts they won't perform the surgery.

I'm in a similar situation, with some cataracts just beginning to form, so let me know what you find out.

My dr. told me to wait and see if the cataracts get worse. If so, they replace the lens with something called a "Crystal Lens" and you'll end up with 20/20 vision anyway - plus insurance will then cover it 100%

However, at 48, the cataracts probably won't any worse for some time and I'd rather have perfect uncorrected vision in the meantime.

One problem I have - years ago I was "mis-corrected" to 20/10 and 20/5 vision. Now I am so used to seeing that well that 20/20 seems "blurry" to me. It has certainly given me an edge over people I fish with when spotting/sightcasting to fish! Don't want to lose that!

I wonder if Lasik can correct to 20/10?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had it done a year ago and have no problems during the day, but night time I still see halos around lights and my night vision has not gotten back the way it used to be. I have a little dryness during nightime, but has gotten a lot better. I had real bad vision before the surgery and for the most part don't regret it getting it done, beats wearing contacts. Doctor tells me my eyes should improve with time.

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
10 years ago.....

I had mine done by Dr. Mann.... it's one of the best decisions I have ever made next to marrying my wife.... I tried to get her to do it and she wouldn't... until about a year ago... and her first words to me after the surgery were... "why didn't you make me get this done earlier" and I told her well sugar I tried if you don't remember.

It will really change your life.. The dry eyes "usually" go away within 6 months and the nightime halos and brightness are really in limited cases...

It's the best thing since slice bread... I am to this day still 20/15.

Good Luck

Jode

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had mine done 5 years ago in Beaumont by Dr. Levacy. I was only 21 at the time but still to this day my vision is better than 20/20. I honestly am baffled when I meet people still messing with contacts. I'm confident they pay for themselves in 3 years, especially with the stigmatism I had that led me to wear those expensive toric lenses.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
It will be two years this coming January for me. Done by Dr. Charlie Moore at International Eyecare. I don't believe that all doctors equipment is the same but his has produced great results. I did the mono-vision and can see great, close or far. I have no problems with halos or dry eye, but I sure did when I wore contacts!

I already reached my payoff time; what it cost me for surgery, I would have spent for glasses, prescription sunglasses and contacts by now.

Go the Health Savings Account route and save some money.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i was blind as a bat with a stigmatism don't know if that is spelled correctly but it was the best $4500 i have ever spent in my life

·
Legend
453 Posts
My girlfriend has lasik done two years ago. Before the surgery she couldn't do ANYTHING without her glasses because everything was blurry. She had the surgery done and she was amazed at how much better she could see just twenty minutes after the surgery. The only problem she has now is night driving and she says she is a little uncomfortable because of all the bright lights.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts