2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier thread "Bull Minnow" stated a boat burned the shoreline on him. I personnally think that is totally disrespectful, so this is why I am asking this quetion. Two different circumstances: 1) fishing the Hanna's area trying to learn Galveston Bay. Hooked-up on two fish quick when my wife points to a boat heading in our direction. After another cast or so I turn to see a guide with customers on board. I could have stuck my pole out and hit them. They drifted right through our cast area and caught a couple of fish. Of course I was fuming but did not say anything since I am there to relax and he is trying to make a living, but blondie (my wife) is not so easy on people.
Second: I was anchored at the North Jetty (~25ft.) out so we could cast up to the rocks. Two guys come through trolling the edges using their trolling motor. We have a brief conversation then he proceeds to come between my boat and the rocks casting along the way. Once again I think real hard about being mean but decide against it. I am very courteous when on the water or out, why is it that some people feel they own the water or deserve to catch a fish more than others?

Just Curious, b/c I know I am not alone here?

·
Retired opinionated old fart
20,014 Posts
I doubt there is an exact answer for your question. The reason I answered is to encourage you to continue with your courteous ways. In the past I was not too courteous. I like to cast, but often people would put their boat right where I was casting and cut me off. They could have anchored such that both of us could cast to the producing area. Whenever I chose to not be courteous, it seemed to flip a switch that stopped the fun when I opened my mouth. After all is said and done at the end of the trip, I have more fun when I am courteous.
Respect other fishermen the way you want to be, and your trip will be satisfying.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
catch 5 said:
Here we go again. "100yds, no 200yds, no 400yds, no 1000yds is TOO CLOSE!! " lol
I don't think this is one of those arguments. If they troll or drift close enough that you can talk to them, they're too close.

What's the name of the guide. I think you should mention him and denounce him here. A guide who has to horn in on a spot like that is no better than a hack and should be called on it.

Cg

·
swing hard in case you hit it.
246 Posts
in both instances i would have been tempted to sling a topwater(or anything else i can really get some zip on) dangerously close to the guy navigating the rig. you cant really blame the poor schmucks fishing with him, but if you're the one behind the wheel, you are the one that made a bad call. i don't get to go fishing nearly as much as i would like, much like the rest of us on here, and nothing gives me a case of the red-arse like some inconsiderate goon getting way too close; especially if i'm on fish.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Last weekend I was wading with 3 guys at the Marker 61 area in the Northwest end of the LLM. We were spread out in a line along about 100 yards and wading North. One SOB drove through thru us! Several SOBs drove between shore line and us. They did not seem to even understand that they were in the wrong. We were wading at 6:00 am and there long before these boats and the hung over drunks in them started running.

What's is with the guys. There is no way I would do it or anyone I know or fish with.

I guess it was because we were catching fish and they just had to see how, what and what size!

·
Registered
145 Posts
How do you keep your cool?

LSU2222 you too nice. Anytime someone drifts, trolls or runs through your intended downwind or immidate casting area they are in the wrong period!

It is one thing to run by too close or get to close, you have to live with that. But to actually go through where you are casting is unforgiveable unless you were fishing a tight pass into a back lake.

Every summer it gets worse. I can't wait till football, deer season, back to school and cool weather reduces the less experienced boaters.

I would have said something, hopefully something constructive in all the cases you mentioned.

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
Common sense for these type of people remains an oxymoron. It is not common and they don't have much.

Charles

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some of your replies are hilliarious! I am use to fishing Big Lake in Lousisana and just do not recall this occurring as much. I do get angry but try not to let it bother me, but when you actually come through my casting area and hold a conversation.....man you are just spitting in my face now. Ten years ago I would have tried to throw the anchor his way, now I am scared I would throw my shoulder out and would not be able to fish. Maybe it is just more important to him/them than it is to me. Don't get me wrong I love to have action as everyone does, but the ones that get to fish with their wives, sons, daughters, etc know that it is just fun being on the water with family and friends in the boat.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
You could have asked him to toss your cork closer to the rocks for you...lol...

John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right!

"Hey see if I still have a shrimp"...well in my case lately...."Can you take that slimmer off for me"
See there is some humor in it!

·
Looking for Fish
665 Posts
Lsu2222 - Been so many threads on this subject and still most of us don't have a answer. Let's face it more boats and people are hitting the water than every before and it's only going to get worse. I think that you handled it correctly going about your business and enjoying the outdoors. I'm probably completely wrong here, have been before, but some of us who have been hitting the water for a very long time was taught by our dads or maybe a grandpa etc.... I know that not only were we taught how to fish the waters but also how to give others their space on the water. Of course it was a whole lot simpler back then for you didn't encounter as many boats. Now a days all it takes is some $$$$ and it's zoom zoom zoom. Good Luck and maybe your next trip out won't have the close encounters of the worse kind :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Get his number next time so that you can hitch a ride and save gas. Or better yet. Get a short stout rod with heavy line and a big weight and start pinging his boat. And then use the top water plug up side his head. I have little patients for this kind of stuff. With in casting range is to close. I can deal with the drifting reefs with in reason better than the guy that trolls between me and the jetty. He would have been wearing my top water as a new piercing.

·
waitin' for duck season....
161 Posts
Way too close in both cases. You won't find an exact answer for the "how close is too close" question though. Everyone is different and has a different comfort level for how close people can get to them before they start feeling like their being invaded upon. But what you're describing happened to you is absurd. I would have minimally asked what the hell they thought they were doing......"guide making a living" or not, that's just wrong.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
see there, you should have said something in both places. I am sorry but I was raised you speak your mind. if you are getting in my fish, I am going to let you know. I have had some people come close to burning me in gorda but, I motion them out and most of the time they move out. I am not saying we need to break into gunfight every time we get burned but, by god you need to say something! don't just sit there smiling while it happens, give them a good scolding. no one has ever died from that!

Lsu2222 said:
In an earlier thread "Bull Minnow" stated a boat burned the shoreline on him. I personnally think that is totally disrespectful, so this is why I am asking this quetion. Two different circumstances: 1) fishing the Hanna's area trying to learn Galveston Bay. Hooked-up on two fish quick when my wife points to a boat heading in our direction. After another cast or so I turn to see a guide with customers on board. I could have stuck my pole out and hit them. They drifted right through our cast area and caught a couple of fish. Of course I was fuming but did not say anything since I am there to relax and he is trying to make a living, but blondie (my wife) is not so easy on people.
Second: I was anchored at the North Jetty (~25ft.) out so we could cast up to the rocks. Two guys come through trolling the edges using their trolling motor. We have a brief conversation then he proceeds to come between my boat and the rocks casting along the way. Once again I think real hard about being mean but decide against it. I am very courteous when on the water or out, why is it that some people feel they own the water or deserve to catch a fish more than others?

Just Curious, b/c I know I am not alone here?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts