2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This boat showed up about 3 miles north from the east end of east bay after the little storm. This is our family property and there is no name on the craft but that is not a concern as I can get that information.
My question is what to do with the boat, my little brother wants to turn it into a pig blind but I think we just need it gone.
Is this a salvage? Can I get the boat owner to remove it from the property? Can we charge storage?
These questions are being asked due to the fact that there will be alot of damage to the roads and also the field when the boat is removed and we do not want to incure the expense of fixing everything after they get their property off. I am also wondering if maritime laws apply here since it is now on dry land and what direction we need to go to get this thing gone.
The best case for us would be the following:

"Hey Mister, your boat is on my ranch".
Ok, where is the ranch?
"Just behind the refuge on 1985".
Ok, what do you want me to do?
"Bring a big trailer and some strong backs and get it out of where it is".
Ok, how?
"Don't know, thats your issue but you need to build the road up with rock or something so your trucks don't destroy the property on the way out".
Ok, how much road are we talking about?
"About 3,500 feet".
Thats a long dang road.
"Yes sir but its alot closer than the 3 miles back to bay over dry ground.
I understand see you on Thursday."

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Truthfully, I would up right it, gut it and make a cabin and hog blind out of it.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Wait a couple of weeks till the next hurricane and it will be gone.:(

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
wow ... tough call

but now that you've posted a pic of it online .. prolly best that you contact the owner... if your luck is anythign like mine the owner will find the pic jsut as soon as you start cutting it up into a clubhouse

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
MAN.. TOUCHY SUBJECT HERE...

It almost sounds as if any answer here will be belittled and bashed, so here's the first. If it was mine and you called, i would contact my insurance(if i had any) and see what they'd pay for. if just the rig(due to cost) I'd tell you your little brother has a pretty nice start-up blind now unless you demanded i removed it from your property. In this case(disaster) talk to the owner. I think I'd oblige you in any way you wanted. Remember, we're from Texas. And we help each other. A D-6 Dozer with tracks dragging a flatbed could remove it with little property damage, But...the flatbed would have to have a pole truck Type wench to lift it to begin the BoaT dragging onto the trailer. Don't take this wrong but try and give the owner a helping hand. It's possible he lost everything.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
that aint no boat thats a ship! id contact the owner how ever i could, and go from there. looks like scrap to me but one mans junk is anothers treasure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are going to contact the owner of the boat but as nice as I would like to be I don't want the owner to tell me that it ain't his problem and keep the boat. As much as I like killing pigs this boat is in one of the rice fields, I'm sure full of fuel and will cost us several thousand to remove.
If you look in the picture that is my 6x6 polaris on the left to give you some idea of the size of the boat. We have a big Kamatsu Dozer on the ranch but there is no way that it is going to move that boat and I don't know how they would or will get this on a trailer. Just looking for some ideas to make this go away, the best thing would be for it to be a Kirby Inland boat and have them come get it.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
sorry Jerry

I didn't mean anything negative at all and sure didn't see your polaris. It puts that Ship into perspective. maybe a D-9 x 2 would drag it. Maybe you could salvage the diesel fuel before she develops a leak into your rice field and really causes trouble. Once again, no Punn intended.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Wow - I didn't notice that Polaris there either until you pointed it out.

That ship is much bigger than I thought.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
pull the hin # and contact the coast guard/TPW to find out the owner. On smaller boats its on the transom. Maybe somewhere on the up deck too. Send them a letter and more than likely if the boat is in good shape their insurance company will pay to have it removed.

·
Member..Whats wrong with my member
5,533 Posts
This should be in the "who makes the most shallow running boat" thread.

Seriously though, that's a h3ll of a situation you got there. Good luck with it.

Kelly

·
8th gen Texan, 4th gen Longhorn. Hookem!
111 Posts
I would contact the owner, he probably doesn't even have a clue where it is, and would like to get it back or get his insurance money for it. If he has insurance, you can most likely get them to move it because it is causing damage to your property. They would most likely be liable for any damage done to the property getting the boat out. If he doesn't want to have anything to do with it, and he knows it is there, you can go after him for trespass.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts