2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a guard dog for my house and yard, I was thinking about a german shepherd or akita but don't know if I want to deal all the shedding.does anyone else on here own a guardian breed?

what would you recommend?

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Dalmation. Fun loving and great family dogs. Plus you can always reward them with a car ride.. they loveeeeeeeee to go on car rides.. LOL

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
i loved my big Rottweiler , good family dog, smart knew almost 150 words and a guarantee good guard/watch dog plus scaring the pee outa anybody messing with ya or the house

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Get a Great Dane... Their bark is much, much bigger than their bite and just the sight of them will deter any criminal! They are protective of their family but are the biggest ole teddy bears...You dont have to do anything to "train" them. I miss my danes!

I remember answering the door one time and had my 2 danes by my side. It was a magazine salesman...

As I opened the door, the guy stepped back from the door and asked "Holy cow, do they bite"

I asked him...

"Does it matter?? Would you come in this house?"

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I'd think twice about the akita. I've seen almost as many dog bites from them as chows through my ER. Especially bad choice if you have children.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd think twice about the akita. I've seen almost as many dog bites from them as chows through my ER. Especially bad choice if you have children.
I would have to disagree with a blanket statement that says Akita's and Chows are bad around children. My wife owns and operates a dog training business in Austin and specializes in aggressive dogs that other trainers have advised people to put down, because they were "dangerous." I can proudly say that not one of these dogs has been put down, and all are happily living with their families. There are however dangerous owners that fail to control their animals in the proper manner. I would venture to say that we have come across more aggressive dachshunds than Akitas or Chows....

www.k9mastery.com

Ryan

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,160 Posts
just speaking of observing thru all my walks everday through the hood, the ones that run up to the fence and watch, bark, not bark jus watch, the rots. would worry me the most, jus thinking dont get outta that fence!or another big block head pitbull.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Don't know about the best, but I can tell you our Aussie was as calm around kids as they come, but when anyone tried getting in our back yard there was gonna be hell to pay. I actually had them come up and request that we lock him up, as I didn't realize they were out when I told them to go around. When I went out to get our chow/lab mix and secure, they said "NO that one is fine, get the little one"!

He also learned to open the refrigerator and meat drawer...so yeah, the're smart too. I'll have to save that one for another thread though!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
http://www.giantschnauzerclubofamerica.com/Information/Articles/right_dog.htm

Sounds like what you are looking for, would need to be groomed though but won't shed anything like a german shepard. My .02 is that most would be burglars won't mess with dealing with any dog thats barking. My sisters English Mastiff will rattle the walls with his bark but he's a total puss, anyone willing to open the door after hearing that bark deserves all they can carry :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
In all seriousness, get a Catahoula. They are great one family dogs and will protect what they think is theirs. When it comes to Catahulla's, they think everything is theirs. Get one as a puppy, especially if there are small children in the house, give it a lot of attention. This will become the best pet you will ever own. Research the breed on the web, there is a ton of information on them.

I got one for my son as a Christmas present when he was ten years old. The dog is now nine and still is very active. We still joke that we didn't get my kid a dog, we got this dog a kid.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
In all seriousness, get a Catahoula. They are great one family dogs and will protect what they think is theirs. When it comes to Catahulla's, they think everything is theirs. Get one as a puppy, especially if there are small children in the house, give it a lot of attention. This will become the best pet you will ever own. Research the breed on the web, there is a ton of information on them.

I got one for my son as a Christmas present when he was ten years old. The dog is now nine and still is very active. We still joke that we didn't get my kid a dog, we got this dog a kid.
That would've been my choice had I not purchased the Aussie. After going back and rereading the original post...don't get an Aussie, they shed like no tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts