2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Depends- where its stored, elements etc.. I change mine quite often, mono is cheap, losing a good fish ain't, thats the best answer I can give ya!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I prefer to buy the smaller quantities for freshness even though if stored properly, most lines today have an almost indefinite shelf life.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If stored in a dark cool place it'll last a long, long time. Now once you put it on your reel you will probably want to change it once a month if you are fishing quite a bit if not more often. If you don't fish much you might stretch it to every six months.

I have some big bulk spools of mono that I keep in some cabinets inside my house and that stuff is 5 years old and is still fine.

·
15,099 Posts
I've bought 1 lb spools of 15 lb and kept it for many years using it slowly up...But it was inside and not in some warehouse.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
cool dark place inside will last till your kids get out of grade school.....i learned that from Mrs. Reynolds proprieter of the old reynolds marine and tackle in league city...........

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
I have one reel I bought when I was 16. I'm 34 now and I've never changed the line on it. It's getting pretty bare, but the line that's left is still pretty strong. I wouldn't recommend going this long, but it gives you an idea how long it CAN last. - Coach

·
Pathfinder 2200v / VMAX HPDI 200
737 Posts
Keep mine in the freezer out in the shop.

Have some line that's very old and have used it with no problems. I look at the line and 'test' it by pulling/twisting,etc. Seems OK each time.

However, when I'm in doubt, I go buy new.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,909 Posts
I got a deal on this spool of Stren Magnathin I could not pass up. As the picture indicates, it's a big spool. I store it in a closet in the dark inside the house. Ask me on my death bed how it held up - LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
some brands are good for 30 min yes i said less than one hour and some like big game ,i keep for 4 years

·
Registered
846 Posts
give your old line to your buddies

Give your old line to your buddies when they forget to spool up. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts