2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Serpent America|XCEED|Novarossi
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried denatured alcohol and air, but the car was still pretty dirty. I think WD40 and air does a little better job.
Anyone have something else I should try?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i soak mine down with simple green and let it sit for a couple minutes then blow it off. that gets most of it off. i wipe off the rest and put some wd-40 on it and blow off the excess. that works for me. but if there is a better way i would love to know that one too.

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
here's my strategy.....and anyone who looks at my cars always notices how clean they are. It's about a 1.5-2 hour total process.

Remove:
-wing
-shocks
-motor
-pipe
-tank
-complete radio tray
-top half of the center diff/brake assembly

put the screws halfway back into where they go as you go along so you don't lose them or put them back in the wrong places.

take the swaybars loose at the arms, and unbolt the front and rear upper arms......so that your suspension can swing out and open.

remove the springs/caps from the shocks.

remove the pipe from the motor.

snip off about an inch or two of fuel tubing at the inlet/outlets of the tank and stick a screw in each end of the fuel tubing to seal off the tank.

fill up the sink with warm water and simple green (usually put about a cup of simple green in with about a half sink full.

the shocks, springs, tank, pipe, wing, body can all be dunked, scrubbed off, and rinsed off.

dunk the whole car very quickly. Trust me, just do it quick and you won't get any water where your not supposed to.....I've done it 100's of times and never had an issue.

then take a big brush and get the chassis, arms, and larger spots.

then take a toothbrush to the areas that are hard to get to (i.e. around the bulkheads, diff outdrives, etc).

I usually dunk one end, clean, and dunk/rinse. Then onto the other end.

Once you're done, pile it all up on a towel or something and take it outside to your air compressor and blow it off.

Trust me.....you'll have a clean car!

for the motor, remove the clutch & air filter, cap off the carb, exhaust, and fuel nipple, and I have mixed simple green/water in a spray bottle that I spray all over the motor. Scrub it with a toothbrush, spray it again to rinse, then blow it off with air.

Same process for the radio tray, but I like to use denatured alcohol so as not to get down into the servos. Spray, toothbrush, spray to rinse, and blow it off.

Re-assemble your spotless components, checking to make sure all the suspension/driveline/bearings are good and smooth as you go along, and viola!!

Your car will be super clean and checked for next time!

P.S. You won't need WD40 at all.....your plastics will all be nice and black.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
CV, just looking at your list makes it seem uneasy....lol.
To be honest there is no easy way to clean the car.

Get some simple green, denatured alcohol, a tooth brush, and shop towels.

Use air, and a stiff brush to get all the caked up stuff off. Try to get as much as possible off at the track, makes it easier when you get home. Get to the point where you can remove the parts, front end, rear, and motor.

Spray that with the denatured. Basically spray, clean, then spray again then wipe off. Once you have it broken done and clean add some WD or some "white lightning" so that the dirt is less likely to stick the next time.

CV, had a good break down, just didn't feel like reading it. My eyes are tired....lol.

·
Chillen in Stink a dena
1,872 Posts
O'Donnel makes some stuff called speed wash I have used all the above . but this stuff works better no greasy film . you have to watch some of those cleaners it will take of all anodizing

J

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
When I cleaned mine I used to use air. After a while I figured out that the air forced the cleaners and dirt into my bearings and suspension pins. That caused the bearings to fail early and the suspension to be gritty and not smooth. Take it apart and clean it by hand, use citrius pledge and a rag. The pledge works good on the plastic and the citrius cleans well and smells good.

Now I freshwater fish and the only thing I have to clean are fish ;)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
I will vouch for CV on his cleaning method, it just plain works! Any other way will take longer and/or not get your car as clean.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
I too tried all kinds of different methods but in the end the best method was putting a brushless motor in instead. :p

·
Mike Garrett
328 Posts
o'donnell car wash

I'm with Bigj. Hands down, O'donnell car wash. A little pricey at $11 a bottle, but the time it saves is worth it. Just spray it on, wait a few minutes, and blow it off with your compressor. It will leave a very slight film but one wipe with a towel and it's gone. I can bring a bottle to the Rivertrack 1200 and let everybody try it out. It's definately worth having.

·
Mike Garrett
328 Posts
Why, that would be at "JOE'S HOBBY ROOM" silly! He'll also deliver to the track along with whatever else you need. 979-299-1795

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Leave the dirt on there and it will bounce off at the next track. If you have to work on it, use a water hose and soap. :D

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Dude, just strap it to the luggage rack on top of your car and take it thru the car wash at the corner gas station.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts