2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good electric not cordless anyone have a favorite they are anywhere from $29 TO $99 so I wanted to ask first?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My favorite is the one Walmart sells in the houseware section. I think its made by Black n Decker for about $12 bucks. I've used more expensive ones but like this cheap one better because of the thin blades. I get atleast a season out of it cleaning a ton of fish before the blades start to get dull.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
GE or hamilton beach are the ones i like the best. not made for fish, but they sure work better than any of the "fish" ones i have used. cheap and good.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I think the Pirannah motor is about the best you can buy, but I only use the notched serrated blades that come with it for cleaning my redfish...the 7" Mister Twister replacement blades (which comes with the green & yellow set) work much better for cleaning trout...$30.00 for the Pirranah & $15.00 for the extra set of blades....

·
Registered
434 Posts
I second the lack of quality on the Rapala Knife. It was a serious waste of money. I would have been better off with a butter knife. At home, I have a cuisinart filet knife and have been extremely happy with it. While I haven't use it on fish, I have used it on just about everything else.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Pirranah electric fillet knife $30.00....extra set of blades $15.00....Watching the old lady clean the fish as you relax, drinking a cold beer after you get home....PRICELESS

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Dont get the rapala one... useless. I just use a manual filet knife.
All I use is a manual filet knife myself. It will never stop working and never shock the p out of ya. :biggrin:

Capt. Dustin Lee
Fish'N Addiction Guide Service
www.TexasBigFish.com
www.MatagordaBayFishingGuide.com
979-236-6203

Team Brown Lures, Fish -N- Hunt, Kubala Kustom Rods, Midcoastproducts., Wiley X and Stinky Pants Stringers.

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
I think the Pirannah motor is about the best you can buy, but I only use the notched serrated blades that come with it for cleaning my redfish...the 7" Mister Twister replacement blades (which comes with the green & yellow set) work much better for cleaning trout...$30.00 for the Pirranah & $15.00 for the extra set of blades....
This is exactly what I did and have been using for about 2 years now with no issues.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I watched a fish cleaner in Venice go thru fish like nobodies buss, I asked him about his knife>>> A 10$ B&D from Wal-Mart with a pr of mister twister blades, the blades were the ones with the end at about a 45 deg angle. He told me he'll use about 1 a month and I watched him run thru a hundred or so in the short while I was there....WW

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have burnt up plenty of the Mister Twister and the Piranahas cleaning reds but I now have an American Angler knife that has been going strong for 2 years. I dont remember the cost I but I bet it was no more expensive that the Pirnanha. Its black and yellow, good knife! When it does go out I am going to have to check out the B&D from Wally world. sounds like a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don' think there is an electric Knife capable of cleaning reds in the 26 to 277/8" class for extended periods. I also believe a kitchen duty electric has a stronger motor than the fishing ones. Get a 7 or 9 inch Dexter Russell and learn how to sharpen it and you can clean em like a guide.

·
Registered
444 Posts
who carries the Dexter Russell? I use an electric on trout and smaller fish, but on reds, drum and sheepies I use a good filet knife.

poc-ed

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
Rapala

For when or if I use a electric , I have rapala that has a 12 volt cig lighter extention i can use on the boat or truck or ramp of no ac/dc is available. Comes in a nice little case as well.:doowapsta

D/R works great as any sharp 6-9 in will do. I been using the American angler on the reds lately..LOL

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Of all the electrics I have used American Angler was always the most durable although in all fairness I never tried the B&D. I always keep several Dexters and/or Henkel knives on my boat and a Warthog sharpener. I've never been very good with a steel but the Warthog sharpener does a good job for me. Watching a pro with a manual blade is just awesome (and humbling for a longtime electric knifer.) Roger Viar at Bluff's Landing comes to mind.

·
Fulbright Custom rods
1,799 Posts
I have a newer American Angler and it is a piece of s**t for red's or specks, when used on reds the blades pull out, and on specks the blades are to rough and cut though the skin. So I had to pull out my old trusty big body black and yellow American angler and chang blades. This old one is about 6 years old with very heavy use!

If you can find an old AA get it, or the kitchen models suggested with good blades.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts