2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
For the Fish!!
4,045 Posts
If it's my boat, they won't be keeping them. If it is their boat, I would let them know in no uncertain terms how I feel about it. As for the ticket, I don't know. If it's his boat, then it's his ticket I guess. Of course if he admits to it, then I suppose he would get the ticket.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Pretty sure...

...as the owner/operator/captain you are responsible for everything that occurs on your vessel. Likewise, you (as captain) have absolutely authority on your vessel.

While generally I believe a warden will issue a ticket to the specific offender, if the fish are comingled in a cooler for example, either one or both of you could get written up.

It's simple - he's on your vessel - he has to follow your rules, period. I know several captains/owners that place more restrictive limits - such as 16" trout or just keep five. As long as you are not contradicting state game laws, you are well within your rights to enforce stricter game laws, as well as things like "no drinking", etc.

I even heard once - not sure if it is true or not - of a captain making an "arrest" on his vessel for a violation of the law. Subdued, handcuffed, and turned over to the coasties a customer that had brought an illegal substance on board. The story I heard was that a customer blantantly lit up a joint on a charter and refused to cease and desist or ditch his stash. The captain, because of the zero-tolerance laws, was scared that he might lose his boat - so he handcuffed the dude, and made a radio call to the coasties, who came over and took charge of the prisoner and contraband. The offender tried to go after the captain, but the court upheld the captain's absolute authority under maritime law. Again, not sure if this story is true but I'm sure others on this board will have more information and lots of links.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have heard on several occasions everyone in the boat was cited because they should have talked the offinder out of keeping that fish. it is like being the get away driver, you didn't do the crime but you are an accomplice weither you knew it was going on or not. The limits in my boat are 15 1/2 mimimum on trout and 21 on reds. That is just the way it is and don't question it, you will thank me later!

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
I was cleaning fish at Fort Anahuac when three guys came up with a cooler & started to clean fish. Several of their trout looked small to me. Being outsized & outnumbered, I kept out of their business. A couple minutes later a Game Warden showed up, pulled out his aluminum stick & checked everybody's fish. Three of the fish those guys had were < 15". Noone would fess up so all were issued tickets. As I finished cleaning my fish I asked the GW if he wanted me to clean the illegal fish so he could take them home with him. He stated he couldn't take them, but if I wanted them I could clean them & take them home. He actually wrote me a recipt for those six fillets. I took some menancing glares from the poachers as I took their fish & they each got a ticket.

For risk of hijacking this thread...Noone will ever bring illegal fish on my boat. No cheeba tolerated...beer encouraged...:cheers:

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson...
My brother and I were fishing Lake Bob Sandlin almost 20 years ago. We pulled into a cove. Throwing artificial. Great lloking area, so we tied up and fished. I decided to put a shiner on a cork and throw it out while we fished. Few minutes later, it was under. My brother pulled it in. Small bass swallowed the hook. I tried gettng it out and ended up hurting the fish. Decided to keep it since it was gonna die. About 300 yards from camp. we stopped and fished again. GW pulls up. checks our fish and of course, finds the small one. He asked whose fish it was. Wasn't funny at the time, but my brother said "it's his"... I got a $75 ticket.
I was wrong for keeping it. Was thinking I was doing the right thing cause it was gonna die... But legally, I was wrong.
My brother and I still laugh about that day of how quickly he blamed me. And regularlly ask the question of

Whose fish is that???

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
What happens when the guy you fish with keeps/catches illegal? Who gets the ticket? Assuming you play stupid, the other admits.
1.He should get the ticket.
2. Why play stupid for him.
3. Illegal fish will go back in the water even if I have to do it for them. :biggrin:

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Why would you ask such a stupid question in the first place, on the internet??

You know the law and if you let a person fishing with you in a boat keep some illegal fish, you BOTH desrve a ticket. Now... with that said, if ya'll are wading and then walk to seperate vehicle's that's his problem and he is still an idiot. Now, again, with that said if you are driving and let him put his illegal fish in your truck, or you get in his truck and YALL get bustted for possession of Illegal fish.... BOTH you Idiots need a ticket.

I'm just sayin.....:biggrin:
I don't believe any question is stupid if you truly don't know & want to gain knowledge on the subject. With that said, I also beleive this post is intended to educate members as to TPWD laws and how the foolish actions of others could affect you. Now, again, with that said, Honest questions encourage positive responses & lead to better understanding for all involved to enhance our fishing environment.

I'm just sayin....sad_smiles

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
15 1/2 mimimum on trout and 21 on reds.
That's fine and that's your decision. However, I ain't telling any of my buddies that they can't keep a legal fish, if they want it to eat it. That's their right.

That's why the legal minimums are set at 15" and 20", not 15 1/2 and 21". Also, we all know the proper way to measure a fish, and it isn't that hard to tell an illegal fish from a keeper, either, at least IMO.

We all have our own boats and use different boats all the time, so it isn't like I'm the boss, just because we happen to be in my boat on any given trip.

BTW, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for anything within 1/4" of the legal minimum size. Not saying it hasn't happened to someone, but for the most part, game wardens aren't out just to give tickets.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,461 Posts
Make em Walk the Plank into the sharks

Educate em first, second = Walking or getting thrown overboard to the sharks.. No F-ing around with illegal feech or other infractions that YOU CAN AVOID. Stay Safe
What happens when the guy you fish with keeps/catches illegal? Who gets the ticket? Assuming you play stupid, the other admits.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I took my neice's boyfriend out with me and we got into a school of specks. I showed him how to measure and watced him on a couple and went back to fishing. when we got back, the GW was there and there was 1 undersized out of 19. he told the gw it was his and they still gave us both a ticket, cuz it was on my boat. The turd got locked up for some reason and got his ticket dismissed, his retard actions cost me a $167. Tried to plead my case that he agreed to testify that it was his, but the Honorable Judge and his lynchman DA didnt' give a ****. Needless to say, I measure all fish now. Sucky lesson to learn.... There was another guy there that had 8 sharks and he got the same penalty. There's some prejudice on the part of the courts down in Gtown....

·
15,098 Posts
If it's my boat, they won't be keeping them. If it is their boat, I would let them know in no uncertain terms how I feel about it. As for the ticket, I don't know. If it's his boat, then it's his ticket I guess. Of course if he admits to it, then I suppose he would get the ticket.
Exactly and I would find someone else to fish with.....
I really peed a buddy of mine off one time cuz I made him tag a 29 inch red he wanted to keep.....Neither one of us was sure of the regs then, so I would only let him keep three reds that day one of them being the tagged fish. I was wrong I read later, but we didnt know that at the time.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
Everybody catches illegal fish now keeping them is a different story. If your in my boat you can keep them you just have to carry them with you when you walk back to the ramp. If i'm in someone elses boat i just have to make a note not to go with that person any more because i have seen them give tickets to everyone in the boat. Kinda like havin dope in a car.

·
Registered
640 Posts
By the time you're in my boat, I know you. I know of your ethics, politics and bad habits. That's cause you're a friend if you're in my boat. My friends don't keep illegal fish. If they did, they wouldn't be my friends.

Know before you go......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts