2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
GYC and Seawolf area......

I've gone out with my brother and my son the last couple of weekends and we got a total of four flounder and a sandy last Sunday and we limited out on Flounder yesterday. We lost several just due to us being amateurs (we're gettin better ) and we traded a few smaller ones out for the larger. The largest yesterday was between 21" and 22" another was at 20". Finger Mullet was the meal of the day. We got some hits on shrimp, but that's where we lost most of our hits. Anyway, they're out there. If I did it right, the first couple of pics are from last week, the next two are from yesterday.

Attachments

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
if i remember right in years past when a BIG front is coming it kinda slows the bite down a coupla days in advance. i haven't watched or checked the weather in about a week, but im pretty sure theres a big one coming cause there were lots of geese moving this am (a lot more then i've seen in a long while). after it passes then the bite gets hot a day or so after once the water comes back. also from past experience, if it shoves a lot of water out, more of the big girls move cause they go with the flow. Being lazy (i guess it would be called working smart and not hard) is how they got big in the first place. If they won't hit anything your throwing this time of year, try a button shad. They are the small ones they sell at academy in the fridge. The piggys have moved out and you shouldn't have many things, if any, stealing your bait. When you cleaned those fish you caught did you keep the rib cages? that's prime flounder bait right there also. leave the skin on and take the bellies cut it into strips and fish it on a red/white arti. by the way, i went a few days ago, and had my two in about 30 minutes. both were over 21 and they both went almost 4.5 lbs. everybody else was catching em also.

edit-I forgot one thing, when i say if it shoves a lot of water out i mean alot, like the flats side will be bone dry and you have to walk almost to the end of the pier to be in ankle deep water.

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
I've been hammering them all month near the ferry landing. I went out Thanksgiving, Fri., Sat, and today and caught atleast 20 fish each day. Some where quality fish most where in the 15-18 inch mark. You just have to time your trip right out on the Galveston Ship Channel. The best tide is an outgoing. Seeing as the tide has been moving out before sun up and right as the sun is setting most people aren't on the water at that time. But that is your best chance in the Galveston Channel.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not having much luck either. Went on boat Saturday 11/28, luanched off GYB, @1pm. Fish both side of the Channel without anything. Fished that one area right there where you launched and daughter got 14.5 in flounder.

We were using live shrimp since the mullets were sold out. I also tried gulp - new penny, white ghost shrimp. Nada. What am i doing wrong? Maybe because i did not have live mullet?

Do you think this this coming Friday will be a good day for flounder 12/4?

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Nada. What am i doing wrong? Maybe because i did not have live mullet?

Do you think this this coming Friday will be a good day for flounder 12/4?
Mullet is always good bait for flounder. I personally don't like having to rely on catching, or buying mullet to catch flounder.

If you will fish a Flounder Pounder with a white Gulp strip, you will catch flounder.

Fishing for flounder with jigs has alot to do with Technique. If you will fish the jig with a slack line,the jig moves slower, and covers the bottom more than if you fish the jig with a tight line.

Also, a medium -medium heavy rod no longer than 6' will help your hookset when you get a reaction strike. Flounder have a hard, bony mouth, and you need to drive the hook in as hard as possible.

Friday 12/4 will be a very good day to catch them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts