2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the expensive equipment and $$$$ boats can't buy the look on a kids face like this. He got a job and worked to buy his own blue water rig....a Penn 50 and Tuna Stick that he spotted while hanging out at Cut Rate after work. Danny made him a good deal. This is a kid obsessed with fishing. No tuna this weekend but did break in the Penn 50 on this AJ and a 7 ft hammerhead. The kid is "Reelbigfish" on 2Cool and he's my son who REALLY wants to learn all that anyone wants to share with him. He's a great kid and has a very proud dad!

Here is a chance for all you old salts to share some of that wisdom to a eager young man who will soak it all in like a sponge! He's a very smart kid who reads everything you guys post on here so maybe reach out sometime and make a difference!

Attachments

·
Banned
407 Posts
Way to go George. I look forward to hooking up w/ you and your son. What else did you guys catch? Made it all the way to your intended destination?

Carlos

·
Registered
199 Posts
what a wonderful day on the water that is awesome your son is ahead of the game forsure. thats great that he saved up his money and bought himself a rig to fish with. you have done a fine job on your son and have every reason to be proud.

Ramon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saved up to buy his own rig? Kids still do that lol? That is great. Obviously you are raising him right! You have every right to be proud! BTW Reelbigfish, you should be proud of those fish...you are making me seriously jealous!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Sounds like you got a great fishing bud for life. You are truly blessed. Young man is already showing good work ethic as well as a love for a sport that his Dad enjoys. Doesn't get any better than that!! Keep us posted on your trips!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'm Another Jealous Father

I kind of tasted that feeling with my boy. He was hooked and the boat didn't move most of the time without him, until he turned about 16. He's been maybe twice since then and now he's almost 20.

Now as for that reel. He is really dedicated to save up that much. I'm still saving my pennies for that one, amongst some other toys.

Glad to hear all went well.

Bernard

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I started mine already, took him on his first 12 hour a month ago. He is 4, heheehehe. He did great and loved every minute of it. I hope he holds the bug for years to come. I will start taking him offshore on my boat when he is 6 until then I just take him through the bay a couple times a year to catch little stuff.

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
WTG ReelBigFish! That is a beautiful AJ you got there. That rig you just bought will be in your heart (and your go to rig) for years to come!

Congrats!

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is fantastic to see the next generation! Great fish.

Agreed, this is what fishing is all about.

Have fun,
Jim

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the nice comments! The boy still wants to do the Tuna thing but is now talking about Wahoo after reading the wahoo thread. Actually has talked about it before but I think now we will be targeting it. From what I can gather trolling at 15+ MPH and deeper water around 200 ft? Anyone have any other pointers like good place to locate fish......I'm guessing around Jalepeno and Cervesa rigs would be OK. How about the edge of the shelf between Sunrise and Little Sister?

·
Registered
663 Posts
ReelBIGFish!

That's a great catch there. I've got a question for you though. I thought your dad was into boxing gloves when it came to fishing? LOL! Still snickering at his story about bopping fish in the nose on your last trip.

Nice picks George.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That reminds me of me about 5-6 years ago. Saved up and bought my first gold Penn 50W. Now I'm fishing Auger and was probably one of the first anglers to fish Gunninson. Fishing sure has kept me outta trouble. It's an expensive hobby, but I think I've turned out alright. :D

Wahoo: Definitely look for surface structure such as bouys and floating debris as well as weedlines. I've seen some big ones lurking around weedlines in the past. Water over 200' is a good place to start.

Texas is an interesting place. It's not like some other places well you're almost guaranteed the fish you're fishing for if you fish for them in the manner that catches them. You stand a lot better chance of catching a 'hoo in the bahamas by high-speed trolling than you do here in Texas. Just more fish to catch down there as here. I'd say close to 99% of wahoo are caught as by-catch by either marlin or king fisherman.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Hey George, Sounds like a great trip, wish I could have made it but work took precedence. Great fish there reelbigfish! And congrats on the rod and reel. Hopefully I can make the next trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts