2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

what fish bit me?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Calcasieu Cracker 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was wade fishing in the surf and got bit by some fish and need yalls help to identify it.

Here is the story, I was in the process of rebaiting my hook. So I was pulling in the bait bucket but my stringer of fish was also wrapped around the bait bucket. When I pulled out a piece of cut mullet (here was my mistake) I put that hand down and used the other hand to close the lid. It was at this moment I got bitten, I’m not sure if he was just going for the cut bait in my hand, but he missed and nailed me on my knee. The fish felt like he was a foot and a half to two foot long. I have two small cuts on my knee about ¾” long and about 1 ½” away from each other. One cut is just a scrape and the second cut is pretty deep that caused a good deal of bleeding.

Second question, what should I do about it?

Thanks guys and gals.
Philip

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well if it was a shark, I hope the scar is permenant. I can hear the stories now :)

Back in the day when the doctor gave me two days to live from an shark attack ....
or something along those lines.

No no even better, During the shark attack, I head butted him to get him off my knee and ....

Boy the stories I can come up with, its not often one gets attacked by a shark, or is it?

Thanks for the replies.
Philip

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I thought about smacks and specks, but I can't explain the two parallel marks 1 1/2" inches apart. I do realize that sharks leave more puncture marks, but lets say he was small and I jerked back quickly. For example when a cat claws, if you react and pull back you will end up with scratches instead of puncture wounds. Now that my wound is starting to heal up, it no longer looks like a razor blade type cut but looks like something about 1/8" wide made the cut.

I appreciate everyone's concerns about bacteria, I have been watching it closely and haven't noticed any type of infection yet.
Philip

Discussion starter · #15 ·
This is why I love 2cool
Don't even have to make up my own shark attack stories....
Thanks SS that was great

My cousin in law is all ready stating that my shark bite does not count because I didn't have to get stiches. But I tried explaining that it could of been deadly, just what if I got flesh eating bateria from it?
Philip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.