2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was wade fishing in the surf and got bit by some fish and need yalls help to identify it.

Here is the story, I was in the process of rebaiting my hook. So I was pulling in the bait bucket but my stringer of fish was also wrapped around the bait bucket. When I pulled out a piece of cut mullet (here was my mistake) I put that hand down and used the other hand to close the lid. It was at this moment I got bitten, I’m not sure if he was just going for the cut bait in my hand, but he missed and nailed me on my knee. The fish felt like he was a foot and a half to two foot long. I have two small cuts on my knee about ¾” long and about 1 ½” away from each other. One cut is just a scrape and the second cut is pretty deep that caused a good deal of bleeding.

Second question, what should I do about it?

Thanks guys and gals.
Philip

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
Several years ago, I was wading into Boliver Pocket as a guy in a bathing suit was coming out. We met near the beach.

I asked if he had caught any fish, and he said no, he had been bitten by a shark. He looked in pretty good shape to me and he explained that a little 12-15" shark had swam up to his knee, and while he was watching it, it bit him.

Sure enough, he had two little crescent bite marks on his leg.

I have been bitten on the bare toe by a sheepshead. It didn't cut me, but it did smart.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if it was a shark, I hope the scar is permenant. I can hear the stories now :)

Back in the day when the doctor gave me two days to live from an shark attack ....
or something along those lines.

No no even better, During the shark attack, I head butted him to get him off my knee and ....

Boy the stories I can come up with, its not often one gets attacked by a shark, or is it?

Thanks for the replies.
Philip

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Maybe a smack?? Doubt it but I had one around 30" latch on to my big toe offshore the other day.. I was going to let him go but after that he was cooler bound..

·
Banned
325 Posts
Be sure to clean your wound with Oxygen Peroxide, let it dry, and apply thin layer of neosporine to prevent infection. There's rumors that there is a flesh eating bacteria in the water so be very cautious with cuts and/or abrasions or any kind, including "Fish" bites.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Could have been a spec...they have some nasty snaggle teeth. Sharks would have left more punctures I believe. My grandfather was bit by a small shark in knee deep water at Bob Hall Pier and he had a full mouth imprint on his calf.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about smacks and specks, but I can't explain the two parallel marks 1 1/2" inches apart. I do realize that sharks leave more puncture marks, but lets say he was small and I jerked back quickly. For example when a cat claws, if you react and pull back you will end up with scratches instead of puncture wounds. Now that my wound is starting to heal up, it no longer looks like a razor blade type cut but looks like something about 1/8" wide made the cut.

I appreciate everyone's concerns about bacteria, I have been watching it closely and haven't noticed any type of infection yet.
Philip

·
I shoot sensor bunnies TFP.
753 Posts
Shark attack. If you're going to get bit, it makes for a better story.

..."He was huge, at least 7 feet. I never even saw him swimming up to me from behind. But its like the great safari hunters say, you can sort of feel something watching you from the bush and you then know its not you who is hunting, but it is you that is being hunted.

Its a matter of survival and maybe its some primal, unexplainable instinct made me turn right as he was opening up his mouth. I spun and jumped at the same time. All he got was a few of his razor snaggled teeth scraping across my knee.

Thing is, you can't lose your cool at a time like that. You have to keep your wits about you. He didn't swim off after his first miss. No sir, he was circling. Slow circling. Kind of sizing me up for sure. He could feel my heart hammering no doubt, because seasoned predators like that can sense fear like women sense a shoe sale. No sir, you've got to be calm and collected. Slow and steady I made my way back to shore the whole time that fish of tens of millions of years of evolution was just waiting for me to make one slip, one false move and it would have been lights out.

He acted once or twice like he was coming in, but he never did. I never fell for his bluff and paniced and let him get the best of me. Nope, it was a mind game of the stuff of legend, seasoned predator of senseless ferocity bent on a quick meal versus the wizened intelligence of reason. I tell you it was nip and tuck, close all the way. Never did I ever feel so relieved to put foot back on land.

Did he move off then? Oh no. He stayed right there, just off between the second and first bar. Moving lazy, slow..... Just waiting. Checking to see if I was coming back in. No, I think he felt cheated and wasn't going to lose again. I feel sorry for whatever he ran into next, but I lived to fish another day. Smarter and wiser for the experience."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
"He could feel my heart hammering no doubt, because seasoned predators like that can sense fear like women sense a shoe sale."

now that good stuff there

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is why I love 2cool
Don't even have to make up my own shark attack stories....
Thanks SS that was great

My cousin in law is all ready stating that my shark bite does not count because I didn't have to get stiches. But I tried explaining that it could of been deadly, just what if I got flesh eating bateria from it?
Philip

·
I shoot sensor bunnies TFP.
753 Posts
Stitches???!!! Stitches?! We don't need no stinkin' stitches!

I thought I already covered why you wouldn't need stitches. If you had been but a second slower, you'd be the next Captain Ahab.

Liars lack creativity, but story tellers embelish to our heart's content... :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts