2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on what I can do during the offseason to improve my deer and when should I start? I got on a new place this year in East TX. and all of the members are family members that have had the place for 6 years. Normally, I just feel my feeders with corn in August/September, make sure the blinds are ready and clear any shooting lanes and then I hunt really hard & spend alot of time in the woods during season. I have been very happy with the number of deer that I am seeing, and I have seen & have pictures of 8-9 different bucks in my area with most of them being very young and 2 good mature bucks. I don't know of anyone hunting close to me & I would like to start food plots and protein feeding. I have built me a protein feeder that has 4" PVC coming out of a 55 gallon barrel and has a Tee at the bottom with two 4" spouts. I think this protein feeder will work well. My question to you is when should I cut off the corn feeder and put out the protein feeder or do you feed corn year around? I would also like to plant some food plots to come up during the off season months(Jan.-Sept.), maybe plant them in January and then replant again for the winter months. I am hunting a pipeline so I have plenty of room on both sides of my stand to plant on, I was thinking about planting 2 different seed mixtures on each side and see which one comes up the best. I would like to start preparing now and get a plan together so that I know what I'm doing after season ends. Please give me some ideas and advice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We don't feed corn in the off season (we have turned the feeders off now, there is corn growing corn under the feeders). We have some protein feeders that we keep full and we also have some food plots. We put the spring food plot in the ground after the last frost. Do your scouting, put up some trail cams look for sheds and get to know your land. What is the water situation like on your place? When we move or place stands we do that in July or Aug.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Supplemental Feeding E. Texas

I too am in E.Texas, Trinity Co. and we do supplemental feeding also but I must warn you that you could be feeding the hogs instead of the deer. A sage older woman that runs the liquor store we frequent would tell you that right now is the ideal time to throw out some winter wheat and/or oats as the night dew will get it going. My concern was and is the hogs as they are somewhat nomadic in that they tend to move and migrate so we just never know... I can't tell you how many times I have put in plots of chicory just to have the hogs come plow them up for me. I usually spin corn with a protein mixed in, ( Purina Antler Max with water shield). This product does not expand with moisture and spins well so I get to control when and how much they get... This year I intend to start erecting hog-proof feeder pens also so I can be assured that the high $$$ protein goes to the deer, and not the hogs... I usually start throwing the protein to them in January and continue to July depending on the browse available and it does make a difference in the herd...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts