2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant wait any longer i going fishing for some crappie.. What color yall using to catch them in kickapoo. I heard pink and gray/blue and black/char not trying to steal any fish just want to know what color working best...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
well, i give you my advise......bring minnows....jigs are ok but if they are biting jigs they will bite minnows....then sometimes they won't bite jigs but only minnows....so if your going to make the trip ...get minnows.
With that said, here's what color not to use...not really...I just didn't get much action on jigs the last few days.....the colors I used where red head roadrunner, white body, cht. tail. also black/cht. I did see two guys in a boat with nice crappie, and they were using the cht roadrunner with white/cht tails.
I try to vary....watch the depth they are posting...that is the key.
Sat I was getting bites about 4 ft. below the surface....then Sunday I was getting bites 2 ft from the bottom. good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bueyescowboy i have a ton of colored tube jigs might start trying them all. Minnow always work can you get them at the kickapoo marina? or do i need to stop between cleveland and triple creek. depth is always the key with crappie and most of yall on her has caught more crappie in one day than i have all year. 2 more weekend deer hunting and crappie beware,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
TB55, you can buy minnows at the Sandy Creek Marina it's just across from the turn to Triple Creek/Broken Arrow on the lake side(Exxon station), they open at 6:00 and always have good size ones and plenty of them. I bet they sold more minnows in the last 2 months than they did all last year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6 am dang that early for me but if i was chasing whitebass around pine island that would be a different story. Look for a G3 with a 40 hr yamaha i will be out there saturday and by the post's gator gar gave i not tieing up next to him haha He will have to beat me to beacon bay when the big cats start hitting jugs..

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
To me the best color in the one you have confidence in. I have one friend who is strictly a jig fisherman. He fills the box but only uses jigs with bright red heads. He paint every jig he buys with nail polish.
Another friend does not care what color as long as there is some chartreuse on it.
i do not fish jigs very often since i learned to crappie fish in west Texas where every one only used shiners. Plus that was before they invented soft plastics. LOL<G>

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Tarboy55, I was just cleaning tackle and re-spooling reels and looked at the jig that caught fish for me yesterday a little better, it has a gold body with blue tail feathers.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,903 Posts
One thing I've found on these Kickapoo crappie is that it really pays to move around if you want to jig fish. The crappie get smart pretty quick on any jig in the same spot.

If you have a trolling motor and want to jig, my suggestion would be to keep moving. If you want to stay in the same spot, better bring the minnows...at least that's the way it has been for me.

Preferred jig...for me its a tri-colored tube jig with a red head and some chartruse in the body along with any other colors.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
You hit it right on MDLRK about moving around when they catch on to you.
Yesterday I also went to a jig under a slip cork so I could hit spots away from the boat at the depth they liked after they quit hitting right under the boat and picked up another 4 or 5 nice ones casting out before they wised up.
I have also noticed that they get wise to my presentation with different rigs when fishing minnows, so I have three different rods I use to change things up. A fly rod that murders them for the first hour, then a medium spinning rod with 1 split shot, and finally an ultra light with 4lb test when they really get to just pushing the minnows around and not taking the bait hard.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
I saw some research years ago the stated only 20% of the fish in an inert school (not on a feeding frenzy) were catchable. So it bears reason that moving around allows you to put a bait in front of the right face.
It works drifting for blues, trolling for whites or pitching to LMB around stumps.
Then at times nothing seems to be logical. Six years ago I was drifting and jigging a slab for whites near the island. My wife was bottom fishing with wieners for cats. After she caught the fourth 3 pounder I stuck a chunk of Weiner on my slab. Jigged it about twice and hung a 31 pound blue. He had inhaled that Weiner tipped slab. Never caught another fish using that rig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts