2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this on this board so the Blue water/Shark boys might see it.
Fished POC surf Friday on promise of good weather. On the way out of the jetty, saw birds working @ Bird Island and decided to try em. Free-lined croaker and immediately started getting hits. Each time we brought in an empty line with the leader cut off just above the hook. Didn't have a steel leader in the boat so gave up and went to the surf. Anchored @ second gut and started free-lining croaker and BAM! Same Thing. Never got a fish to the boat! Fishing partner started getting sea-sick so went back into the bay. Anchored @ the Hump and fishing was slow then BAM! Something spooled me in less than six seconds and I never slowed him down. Happened twice more and we called it quits. Going back this week armed with 60# Power Pro and steel leaders and maybe a PAIR OF SKIS!!!! Any idea what's doing this? Sharks, Spanish macs, Kings, Tarpon?????? Help me out guys/gals......Thanks

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Sounds like Macs to me

Cut off by macs and spooled by something much bigger. Perhaps kings or sharks or jackfish. Tarpon normally show themselves.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
I fished the Hump on Monday, and saw two different very large blacktips......at least I think they were blacktips.....the first one ran me off the water, and to the boat, it looked longer than I was tall.......the other we saw while we were drifting, and it appeard to be about 5 ft. long.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flatsfats said:
smacks and sharks to me 2
I can go along with that on the cut offs. But I've been spooled by sharks before and these fish seemed like they were supercharged! Maybe a shark on speed!!!!!?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
fast spool

Since you were spooled that fast, I'd guess either a kingfish, a big jack, or perhaps a dolphin. Usually a dolphin or a tarpon will jump when hooked, even after they spool you. I've heard stories that kingfish hit the bait going about 40mph or more, so that would make sense.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
I doubt there was any kingfish on the hump. My guess is jack fish. I have had them almost pull the rod out of my hand fishing the cedars not paying attention.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Jack Cravelle hit like a mad man and keep going. They are some of the harder fighting fish pound per pound because of the way they turn their bodies. I have had difficulty pulling up a large jack on a 4/0 with 50lb line before just because of the way they fight.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Smacks and Jacks

We fished the hump the last weekend of August and saw the same thing several times. We did manage a couple of trout, but the jacks were thick.

You guys might laugh at me, but oftentimes you can tell you have a big jack by watching your rod tip. Even with the rod bent over, the last 8-12 inches will be shaking up and down. Big jacks shake their head when hooked, and this movement can be seen at the end of the rod. This is really noticeable when fishing deeper water such as the jetties. A bull red will typically pull straight down while a jack will run shallow and shake as described above.

Tight lines gang........Q

1 - 10 of 10 Posts