2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the anchor set into the soft mud and grass bottom structure, the anchor line maintained an attitude symbolic of a tow line. The sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon as I cautiously warned all, in a soft, whispering voice, to quietly slip over the gunwales of the Extreme, knowing well that any additional noise would be a definite peril as we began this windy morning’s quest of locating our targets.

I just spent the last 3 days fishing with Gander Mountain We Live Outdoors/OLN TV Show www.gandermountain.com/about/tvshow.asp
which airs 6 times in 2005. The show is about Kayaking, fishing, and features the town of Seadrift and Matagorda Island as the premier destination for kayakers. The first morning was spent kayaking shorelines for tailing reds and trout. We realized in short order the trout were in chest to shoulder deep water. Areas fished were ESB to Carlos Bay. The team picked up trout to 3lbs. Norton Mardi Gras rigged with 1/8-ounce jig heads was considered a great choice. All fish were released. The second day, the shift would be kayaking the back Lakes of Matagorda Island. Our target was red fish. The goal was to wear scuba gear and video these crimson shoulder fish under water. Water conditions were crystal clear and the grass was beautiful. Jeff Kolodzinski of Gander Mountain gently placed his anchor over the flowing grass and slipped out of his Ocean Kayak. Jeff performed just like a pro and hooked into 5 redfish. Each fish was caught fighting on film both above and below the water line. The storms started forming from the north so we decided to cut the shoot at around noon time and head in for safety.

With the weather calling for 60 percent chance of rain and heavy clouds, Wednesday morning brought nothing of the sort. Calm seas and very calm wind was the order of the day. How could 3 guys all the way from Bloomington and Baxter Minnesota be so lucky? The filming must go forward. Day 3 we loaded the kayak and paddles into my Extreme Majek, along with camping gear, rods, cameras, scuba gear, underwater cameras, tripods, and bags. The scene would be one of shoreline camping on Matagorda Island by the way of Kayaking. As the boat eased into a secluded sandy shoreline wildlife became alive. Birds were chirping and swooping down near the waters edge. Bait fish was abundant in all directions. The water conditions were absolutely perfect for catching trout and reds. The scene was to catch a few trout and reds, kayak back to camp and prepare Cajun battered trout with sliced new potatoes. The first hour of fishing was excellent with trout to 2 pounds. We also managed to land a 28” redfish. Actually sitting along the bank eating Cajun battered fresh trout took me back to the days spent camping and fishing with my Dad. It was very relaxing and enjoyable.

As anglers experience climbing water temperatures the majority of the day will be spent underneath the full sun. Think early, late, and deep for the month of July. The month and weather are stable predictors for trout movement. Following the cover of darkness, which allows moderate cooling of water temperatures, plan your departure time a little earlier. The extra time will secure a stretch of shoreline and this will put an angler taking advantage of a major feeding period during this hot summer month.

If you have never experienced the stealthy approach of kayak fishing, given the opportunity don’t pass it up. It can be a real eye opener. Be it the surf, shell reefs of San Antonio Bay, or area shorelines, July offers hot weather and often incredible fishing. Following my kayaking experience, I can see how so many anglers develop a passion to the “back to nature” style of camping and fishing.

Attachments

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Grrrrr... Sometimes I get a little jealous of other people's occupations. haha I'll keep an eye out for the show.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
nice lookin pics... whered ya get the camera guy????............JJ

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
what a job!!! way too cool!!!..........................JJ

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Awesome Chris! WTG guy! Glad you found some fishies. Looks like I am going to come down and check you guys out. I have never fished down there.

FC

·
11,766 Posts
Chris,
Any idea when it is going to be shown? Keep us posted I would like to see that show.

Tod

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
thats pretty cool. Gander mountain is shown on the outdoors network.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Show Times

FC & Todd,

According to the film crew, the first showing starts around first to second quarter 2005. Like you, we're very excited about seeing it.

Chris

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Gander Mountain is opening several stores in Texas including Houston. Going up against Bass Pro. Who named this outfit gander mountain anyway?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts