2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew, man my rear is still numb...LOL.... 825 miles on the trip meter from leaving my driveway to returning.... After partying with Argo and BWH, and a couple hours on the riverwalk Saturday nite we crashed out, Hit the road Sunday morning at 0930, went thru Bandera, Medina, Vanderpool, Leakey, and down to Garner state park to have a coldone on the Frio river.... Then left for Kerrville, and Fredricksburg, stopped at the Hawg Stop just East of Fredricksburg for a coldone....Then down thru Blanco and into San Marcus, after dark we were dodging deer all the way,them are fast little bastages..LOL... Checked in our room and went to eat at Logans Roadhouse, purty good stuff..... Checked out of the room at 0945 Monday morning and rode back up Devils Backbone and down to Cayon Lake, then hit river road down the Guadalupe, it was awesome because there was no one there, we had it all to ourselfs, stopped and photoed at the Chute's, then down to Hueco springs... Went to the spot at Gruene rd where everyone takes out of the river and had a few coldones there on the deck overlooking the rock gardens rapids, it was awesome, didn't see not one person on the river....Went across the bridge into town and had some great Mexican food and Rita's.....Then put the helments on and hit the road for Baytown, arrived home at 6pm last nite.... This was the best time I've had in a long time....
Heres some pics.......

1: I'm a map reading expert....LOL

2: A chair built for Monty...LOL

3:Rosie on the Medina river...

4: Old Baldie at Garner...

5: Rosie on the Frio at Garner...

6: Frio lookout on Hwy 83....

Attachments

·
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

These are all at New Braunsfuls

1: The Chute

2: Huaco spring

3: River road pitstop... LOL, I had to wewe

4: Gruene crossing

5: Rock garden at Gruene

6: Same

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Darrel and Rosie thanks for the pictures. Looks like yall had a great time on your road trip. Man just seing that river brings back some meories and reminds me of all the shorts, hats, cigerretts and sunglasses it took from me LOL. Again Im glad yall had good weather for a good time......................................later,DAve

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
itsnt is beautiful up there! i used to live in san marcos and cried when i had to leave. sometimes i get home from a trip like that and i wonder why in the world i live in alvin texas?? one word.....SALTWATER! LOL

glad you and rosie had a good trip, i sure enjoyed the pictures!

welcome home you two, we missed you saturday night,
trudy

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
funny, we had a cold one on that same deck on saturday afternoon at the river in Gruene, i think the name of the joint was Bubba's deck or maybe Bubba's wet deck?? nice little place

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Darrell, It Looks Like You Had A Great Ride....

Y'all roamed the great TX. Hill Country of my German ancesters....Heinrick Schpinterman and Adolph Brewstermeister. Times change and I'm glad you had a good ride. There was a time in 1969 when I owned a Honda 90cc. It only brings back the prestine memories of before EVERYBODY in the world moved there building subdivisions, convenience stores, trailer parks, boat storage houses, inner tube rentals, BBQ S___houses, and hotels/motels. I owe God a lot of thanks for being born when it happened. I'm sorry you younger people missed the real Texas beauty. ComeFrom?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live about twenty miles from Bandera.Friday nights you can find us at the OST for dinner than over to the Nickel bar for a couple of cold ones . Great little town.Did you guys come down hwy 16 or IH 10 to 46 west?Rusty

·
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We came up hwy 16 from SA, then to medina, and hwy 337 from medina to vanderpool to leakey was the best senic road I have ever been on......AWESOME

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a small town before you get into Bandera called Pipe Creek.I am about six miles from there and straight up on top of one of the hills.In the next few weeks the leaves will be changing colors and the temp should be dropping.The valley below my house is cool enough to support the big tooth maple tree and can be awesome in the fall.Life is Good! Rusty

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
Badhabit said:
Whew, man my rear is still numb..
umm....Rosie was riding behind you? lol

great pics on a great trip....glad you made it back safe.......

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
Great Pics Darrell, Man that sure is nice country up there. That water looked just about right to be sitting on a tube instead of a bike.

Josh

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Hey, Darrell,

Lisa, her boyfriend Craig, Lorrraine and I rafted the Guadalupe from Gilligan's Island to Gruen's on Saturday. Those rapids you are standing in front of were a blast. Lorraine has decided that we're getting a little to old to be doing that stuff, getting bounced off trees and rocks and stuff, tho.

Wish we coulda taken pics like you and Rosie. It's a little hard trying to keep the camera dry on the river.

Saw the Marshall Tucker Band at the River Road Ice House on Friday night. Great music!

Glad to see you folks had such a good time.

Tom

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Excellent story and pics! Took me back to my days of cruisin the Texas hill country. If I lived in the Leaky, Texas vacinity I would still be ridin', I mean it. Glad y'all got a good patch of ridin' weather!

I wonder why I'm itchin' all over and my right wrist keeps bending backwards. Hmmm... :)

·
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Crappie Queen said:
good pics daddy! Ya'll looked like ya'll had fun.
We sure did sweetie, guess I need to get a sidecar so you can go on the next trip .... Sure do miss you, when ya gonna come see me for a weekend ??
Hugs and Kisses my darling, I love ya......Dad

Gotta show ya'll the most recent pic of my daughter... She be growing up..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Leakey, TX

The largest Whitetail Buck I ever missed was hunting from an invite on a ranch just outside Leakey. He ran at an angle toward me, then saw me, turned and ran directly away from me. I took only six 30.06 shells and shot five times as he galloped in the opposite direction and was gone. With one shell left, I waited and then a small eight pointer walked right out into the dirt road below the stand. One perfect shot. I wasn't even excited even though I got a buck.

Darrell, she is a beauty. This once again supports my theory (especially in my case) that beauty skips every generation. LOL! CF?

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have to put my 2 cents in. it was the best trip ever, got to meet some new people from ttmb and have a just darrell and me time. he had taken me to some new places i had never been, showed me some beautiful places that i have only heard about. so all in all i had a GREAT birthday thanks to Darrell, Blue Whater Ho, Kristen, Argo, Nora, Noras daughters and the one and only MATHEW. thanks for making it special and wonderful.

ROSIE

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
ROSIE said:
i have to put my 2 cents in. it was the best trip ever
ROSIE
Rosie, I'm sure you had a blast.........

ps: you made Darrell's hiney numb........you rock........I mean you really rock..lol.......good trip, great friends, and a great partner........gal......you made your B-day trip.........Darrell helped I am sure.............

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Rosie, thank you. Your few kind words make me really happy. I hope Kristen and I can get up there soon. And Ill second that BertS, must be Rosies side for sure..................later,Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts