2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these pics yesterday (Wednesday) morning while I was down on the island. As far away as Ivan was, we still paid a price!
The pics are taken from the Rusty Hook Bait Camp turnoff to the beach.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I think

Isn't that where they artificially built up the beach? that ledge of sand was packed in there by dozers and dump trucks, if I am not mistaken.

I wonder if it served its purpose? Or was it a big waste of money.

Also, I wonder if there was any/much erosion where the beach was left to its natural state?

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
I am sorry but I have to laugh.....Those idiots building houses right on the beach. that one house is not even finished and the water is almost under it.....and they want to take away our beaches for this. Just plain crazy

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Certainly appears to illustrate the silliness of this "dump more sand" policy used on some beaches. Perhaps they should just consider it a short term rental of the sand, as opposed to renurishment.

·
15,098 Posts
When will they learn that foreign sand (dirt) will not stay on the beaches and the money is wasted . Every storm, it washs away and goes back to natural. Mother nature knows what is suppose to be there. Lets blow some more of our money.

R.R....

·
MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Maybe, when we finally get the BIG one bearin' down on us, all those houses will get washed away, and perhaps then, the state/GLO will rethink their plans for the west end. Maybe thats what it'll take to finally get people to open their eyes to the absurdity (sp?) of it all. Not that I'm wishin' anybody to lose money/property but, something like that will have to happen before things change (IMO).

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The only ones to lose

would be the poor and the insurance companies. Centex and the lot owners wouldn't lose money.

The big one will come soon enough. Galveston is overdue for a good bath. It's just a mater of time.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Thats what they get.

Yea, thats the area they scraped with the dozers and piled that sand up.

Idiots!

They have been warned so many times. If Ivan would of hit any where near Galveston, 3005 would be gone. We would have a new pass. CENTEX pass.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Shhh.... guys, I hate the people building on the beach as much as the next guy but remember some of us live within eyesight of the beach and the west galveston bay and I am not sure I want to deal with a charlie, frances, ivan or any other storm of that magnitude. I just wish rjohnson107 wasnt correct about what it will take to make them learn. the only problem is after the "big" one about ten-fifteen years later some other centex will be up to their old tricks if it even takes that long.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wonder if CENTEX took a look at the destruction of IVAN...

If not I hope they will look at the news from Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida. The same thing could happen to Galvestons west end...VIC

·
Registered
712 Posts
Centex only has to worry about it just long enough to get their money, build, and get out.

James

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Hey Gang,

There was a reason there used to be just "fishing shacks" along the beach front and back bays. I am talking about when there was a one lane black top road going to San Louie Pass and no bridge over the pass and no developments. Everyone built them with the idea that one day they WOULD blow away. When the insurance companies started insuring the big mansions on the beach, that is when the prob started. A few more big hits on the ins companies pocket books, and I bet ins will be imposible to get or so expensive the average joe wont be able to afford it. I really liked the rustic bay shacks better than the mansions anyways! LOL Nothing like playing poker and drinking beer by oil lamp light, and being able to spit through the cracks in the floor. Anybody remember an old shack behind the pass everyone knew as Galcerans?

Later
R3F

·
Registered
781 Posts
Average Joe

Red3Fish said:
A few more big hits on the ins companies pocket books, and I bet ins will be imposible to get or so expensive the average joe wont be able to afford it. R3F
Heck, I don't think there's too many average joes that can afford it now.

Great thread guys......Q

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
You know whats worse?

Im not allowed to set up my tent in Galveston. Nor am I allowed to have a fire. But you can own a beach house on public property.

Well, lets hope TOBAs appeal works. I dunno what to do next. Unless anyone is up for a little civil disobediance?:smile:

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Lorraine and I just took a beach cruise from the Rusty Hook to SLP. The area in the pics is right in front of the Miramar subdivision. That's where they trucked in their beach renourishment clay. That isn't sand. We complained about it to the GLO and they told us that they were certain that it was a-okay sand. What idiots.

Anyway, the rest of the beach is as smooth as a baby's bottom. That's the only place that looks like Big Bend in the making.

Galveston1602, I live on the main canal in Sea Isle in one of those old fishing shacks that were built in the early sixties. Ours was built in '61. I can live with a big storm visiting the island because it wouldn't be all that expensive to rebuild my little ole place. Heck, this place has withstood every storm since '61 including Carla and Alicia.

There needs to be a wakeup call along the coast. The feds aren't going to continue paying for beach renourishment and FEMA is going to get tired of replacing million dollar second homes for people who can afford to rebuild on their own.

If we end up with a new Centex Pass, do you think the fish'll stay away from it?

GY

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What we really need, is to get the federal goverment out of the insurance business.
Or at least restrict the benifits to 2 times per property. That way if Joe Millionaire
wanted a mansion out on the edge of the ocean He would have to pay the full price
for having it there...and the rest of us would not have to subsidize his play house.
Just My 2bits
Jackie

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Hey Gal Yankee

My second cousin, my pop and I were coming back from SL Pass in the late 50's, off to the left there was some activity going on and we went over to see what it was. Was the begining of Sea Isle. My Pop and Bobby put their names in the pot to win a free lot (I was too young..bout 10 or 12). Lo and Behold my cousin won it and built one of the first houses there. Dont know exactly when, but it was there for Carla in 61--not too much damage. We fished out of that house until it got too crowded, and then my pop and I bought a lot in POC, built a house and we all started fishing out of there in the early 70's.

I also remember stopping off at Jamaca Beach in the late 50's or 60's and looking at some Indian remains found when they started excavation to build there. They had a tent over them and boards around a couple of skeletons). They wern't but a foot or foot and a half deep if I remember right. Dont know what became of them.

Catch yall later
R3F

1 - 20 of 22 Posts