2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could report that the fishing was unbelievable, it was just OK. Here is the unbelievable part.

I arrive at the west end around 5:30 am and wade out about knee deep waiting until first light. I am casting a BONE topwater and hook-up immediately. I have 2 small trout strung before the sun comes up. Then, a group of 3 guys show up and wade out within 15 feet of me. No problem, it's the surf - I'll move over about 50 yards and give myself some space to work. About this time, 2 other guys come from my left side and get within casting distance. I'm getting a little irritated and then it happens - I feel a sharp pain in my left ankle and think " Oh ****!!" I've stepped on a Ray. But NO!! It can't be a Ray, it keeps penetrating my ankle over and over again. This "Academy Fishing Model" to the left of me has just set the hook on his soft plastic about barb deep into my ankle. I yell at him - "HEY YOU HOOKED ME" and he says "I GOT A GOOD ONE" and sets the hook again. I reach down, grab the line and pull it up so he can see what is happening. I swear - I was ready to drown this SOB on the spot. I ask him to cut his line so I can walk back to the beach and remove the hook. He insist on following me to the beach so he doesn't have to cut his line. After minimal effort, the hook came out easy and surprisingly didn't bleed at all. He reels up his line and goes on his way. So, I get in my truck and move down to the next beach access and jump in the water. I'm chunking TOPS and not having much action. I have atleast 100 yards between me and the next guy when sure enough I see a kayak coming my way. This guy has a trolloing motor and is moving pretty good. I keep casting and watching this guy. WAM!!! I'm not even paying attention when the BONE GHOST gets hammered. I fight this fish for atleast 4-5 minutes when the Kayak guy crosses between me and the fish. You guessed it - his trolling motor now has my line and completely spoolls my reel. I stand there, no line on my reel, watching the bait scatter in front of me, and wonder what has happened to me today. So, for all you inconsiderate idiots that grace us with your presence when the surf gets green, I will be at the golf course tomorrow.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Dang! Thats just down right crazy right there. I thought it was bad in upper Galveston.

Biggie

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Dang, that is crazy! I don't get it either. Shoemakers I guess! I had a similar experience last year in the surf at 14th Street in Galveston. I am out there with a friend catching a few fish up against the rocks when I hear this "plunk" behind me. My buddy turns around because he heard it too and says, hey you got someone fishing out of your back pocket! No lie, I turn around and here are two jokers throwing live bait behind me and they are casting literally right in my back pocket!
FlatsCrusher said:
I wish I could report that the fishing was unbelievable, it was just OK. Here is the unbelievable part.

I arrive at the west end around 5:30 am and wade out about knee deep waiting until first light. I am casting a BONE topwater and hook-up immediately. I have 2 small trout strung before the sun comes up. Then, a group of 3 guys show up and wade out within 15 feet of me. No problem, it's the surf - I'll move over about 50 yards and give myself some space to work. About this time, 2 other guys come from my left side and get within casting distance. I'm getting a little irritated and then it happens - I feel a sharp pain in my left ankle and think " Oh ****!!" I've stepped on a Ray. But NO!! It can't be a Ray, it keeps penetrating my ankle over and over again. This "Academy Fishing Model" to the left of me has just set the hook on his soft plastic about barb deep into my ankle. I yell at him - "HEY YOU HOOKED ME" and he says "I GOT A GOOD ONE" and sets the hook again. I reach down, grab the line and pull it up so he can see what is happening. I swear - I was ready to drown this SOB on the spot. I ask him to cut his line so I can walk back to the beach and remove the hook. He insist on following me to the beach so he doesn't have to cut his line. After minimal effort, the hook came out easy and surprisingly didn't bleed at all. He reels up his line and goes on his way. So, I get in my truck and move down to the next beach access and jump in the water. I'm chunking TOPS and not having much action. I have atleast 100 yards between me and the next guy when sure enough I see a kayak coming my way. This guy has a trolloing motor and is moving pretty good. I keep casting and watching this guy. WAM!!! I'm not even paying attention when the BONE GHOST gets hammered. I fight this fish for atleast 4-5 minutes when the Kayak guy crosses between me and the fish. You guessed it - his trolling motor now has my line and completely spoolls my reel. I stand there, no line on my reel, watching the bait scatter in front of me, and wonder what has happened to me today. So, for all you inconsiderate idiots that grace us with your presence when the surf gets green, I will be at the golf course tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I feel your pain brother. Welsome to Potlickinville, population: 1 Million and growing STRONG !!!!!!
Last time I was surf fishing, i had finished my wade and I was not fortunate enough to be graced by the arrival of Potlickitus Arseholinuss, however i did have several Bozo da A**clowns try to drive thru the small 10 foot of surfline between my truck and the water. What happened to kindly driving around the camp instead of down the waterline and thru my small 10 foot parcel of beach ??? next time I bring more lawn chairs to spread around.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Dang, Flats. I feel for you! Kinda makes you wanna sling your AK47 for the surf, huh? What a bummer about getting hooked and set again, and the yakker! I woulda cut the guy's line in a heartbeat rather than trying to show him something logical...

Hope the next trip improves for ya!

·
I'm Gucci. You polo.
4,138 Posts
I would have just cut the line my self. As for the Yakker we would have had to go to the beach and "talk" about it.

·
15,099 Posts
Great first post....
Looking at your age, you may have went through the good times of salt water fishin.
Its defianately OVER.......Theres more idiots on the water than I ever dreamed possible....
What ever happen to lake conroe.? Did it dry up...?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel your pain. My nemisis is and always has been the IDIOTS on jet skis. Those guys and gals have ruined more fishing trips than I care to recall. Unfortunately there will always be those who do not have any respect for others and the sport of fishing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That happened me at Bolivar pocket last year. Me and buddy were catching trout and we started noticing fellow fishermen get closer and closer. The next thing we knew we had about 10 guys surrounding us. They were throwing over us and getting tangled in our lines. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. All I could do was laugh because life is too short.

·
Registered
371 Posts
"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you". Sorry you had to deal with such idiotic morons. Some people should have been wasted on the sheets.

>E

1 - 20 of 37 Posts