2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.........my wife has decided to come fishing with me this sunday (assuming that she does'nt bail out again) and i'm looking for a little advice.

see....the last two times i have been out in west bay i have barely managed to come home with 2 keepers of any kind. with my wife being with me this weekend i have to step up the fishing a little. i cant have her thinking that everytime i go fishing i end up drinking more then catching.

there are a couple of areas around west bay that i have had good luck with in the past, but i am trying to learn how to provide dinner with plastics.

im not sure what the weather is going to be like this weekend, but can anyone give me some pointers on colors, depth, and presentations for plastics during this time of year????

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gig 'em '00
981 Posts
West Bay is tough this time of year. I would concentrate on fishing when the tide is moving and on deeper reefs for trout or in areas that have easy access to deeper water. Look for bait and cleaner water. If there is bait and the water is clean and is moving, don't give up on a spot to soon. There will be a lot of people drifting the mid bay scattered shell relatively close to Deer Island if the weather is decent and this will produce a few fish more often than not if you give it time. Good fish are few and far between in West Bay in August so you have to stick it out to catch them usually. Don't waste your time if the tide is slack this time of year.
Might try some of the back lakes for reds.
As far as colors and retrieves... color not that important. I like dark colors - strawberry white in particular, and I would go with a shad tail. (Spoons for reds in shallow water). Retrieve them slow and change it up til you see what works.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok....sounds good. i appreciate the direction. im going to go prepared with all shapes and colors and really test them out. i figure i'll try a couple places early and hit them really hard. definately be trying when the tide rolls in and out.

thanks again and hopefully we'll have some good results to post.

good luck to you if you go out this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts