2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ? when picking up your hunting partner is Well what did you see? I was thinking since we all hunt on different dates,ranches, county's it would be interesting to hear from different hunters on what their seeing at their blinds .Example I hunted this am in grimes county saw an 8 pointer 3 does Etc.Might help target a movement pattern who knows.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
With this lowsy weather I didn't see squat. No, I take that back. I saw one doe Friday evening.

My place is close to town. With the clouds holding in the city light the deer were up all night feeding.

My corn sat on the ground all day but was all gone by the next morning.

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,530 Posts
Hunted Maverick county first part of the week, let a 160 walk. I'm hopin I'm not going to regret it but this ranch has some unbelieveable deer(low fence). Hunted the rest of the week in Zavala county. Deer aren't movin nearly as much as Maverick. We had a lot of rain in the last couple of months(4" Fri.) Saw a real nice main frame 8 with a couple of kickers, mid 140's and let him walk too.....I'm hunting most of the month of Dec. so I'm holdin out for a monster for now.......

Bret

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunted Maverick county first part of the week, let a 160 walk. I'm hopin I'm not going to regret it but this ranch has some unbelieveable deer(low fence). Hunted the rest of the week in Zavala county. Deer aren't movin nearly as much as Maverick. We had a lot of rain in the last couple of months(4" Fri.) Saw a real nice main frame 8 with a couple of kickers, mid 140's and let him walk too.....I'm hunting most of the month of Dec. so I'm holdin out for a monster for now.......

Bret
Your in a great spot. My dad has been hunting on the Davidson Ranch forever. He's 87 & I've hunted there a few times.For the last 67 years my dad & his frat brothers leave on the first Tuesday of December & stay till Sunday & my dad always brings a nice buck back. Good hunting to you.

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,530 Posts
Your in a great spot. My dad has been hunting on the Davidson Ranch forever. He's 87 & I've hunted there a few times.For the last 67 years my dad & his frat brothers leave on the first Tuesday of December & stay till Sunday & my dad always brings a nice buck back. Good hunting to you.
The 2 ranches I'm hunting are only about 45 miles apart but the difference is amazing. The Zavala ranch is a really good ranch but the Maverick ranch is as good as it gets. There's already been a 201" taken this year....Thanks and Good Hunting to You!

·
Registered
620 Posts
We got 2.5 inches of rain at the ranch this weekend so it was a mess. My wife and I headed down friday. Deer movement was still slow but we did manage to see three different bucks that should go close or above 160. Here is one I planned on shooting this year but his browtine is messed up on one side. I am sure he is at least 6.5 years old but I will probably let him go another year due to the drought. I was hoping he would make a good jump but it didn't happen.

Late yesterday afternoon we came around a corner and there stood an mature short tined eight pointer. I eased my Blaser 7mm08 out of the gunrack and handed it to my wife. She take aim and fires off a round. I could tell the deer was hit but he didn't drop in the road. The wet ground made tracking easy and although she made a good killing shot the deer still ran 40 or so yards. I grabbed him by the antlers and tried to move him. He didn't hardly budge. I decided to get the Kubota and do some brush busting. After climbing a bush and almost turning over I made it to the deer. He later weighed 205 live weight and 167 field dressed. I've drug bigger deer out but I guess with the wet ground he just wouldn't slide. I gotta get her to go back to neck shooting on the management bucks.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got 2.5 inches of rain at the ranch this weekend so it was a mess. My wife and I headed down friday. Deer movement was still slow but we did manage to see three different bucks that should go close or above 160. Here is one I planned on shooting this year but his browtine is messed up on one side. I am sure he is at least 6.5 years old but I will probably let him go another year due to the drought. I was hoping he would make a good jump but it didn't happen.

Late yesterday afternoon we came around a corner and there stood an mature short tined eight pointer. I eased my Blaser 7mm08 out of the gunrack and handed it to my wife. She take aim and fires off a round. I could tell the deer was hit but he didn't drop in the road. The wet ground made tracking easy and although she made a good killing shot the deer still ran 40 or so yards. I grabbed him by the antlers and tried to move him. He didn't hardly budge. I decided to get the Kubota and do some brush busting. After climbing a bush and almost turning over I made it to the deer. He later weighed 205 live weight and 167 field dressed. I've drug bigger deer out but I guess with the wet ground he just wouldn't slide. I gotta get her to go back to neck shooting on the management bucks.

Nice deer.I agree once you start neck shooting your hooked.No chasing & no meat wasted.

·
Make America Great Again!!!
2,171 Posts
Drove to the lease in Fannin Late Friday night, hunted Saturday morning. I had water 6" deep ALL around my stand & Feeder! Only saw one doe & a small 7pt. Hopefully things will dry out by thursday. Did have a decent 8pt (120 maybe) on my camera with approx. 10-12" G1's. Young deer though.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its Monday evening Grimes co.went to the blind SE wind 70 degrees saw nada. Cold front on the way will see.Hope to hear from other hunters . Thought instead of reading 20 threads we could just read one & know whats happening everywhere.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd like to hear what y'all see. I guess its a secret. Tomorrows Turkey Day so postup. I hunted this evening & nada.Tommorrow starts day does so will see. Good Hunting to all.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turkey Day Evening hunt:See 2 does on my right running they run to the corner go under the fence & about 5 minutes go by & the does come back out. Headed towards neighbors property.I look back to where the does came out & a buck walks out all nervous head down sniffing " not a big buck" pacing back in forth & go's back under the fence. Then out of nowhere another small buck comes in head down sniffing picked up does trail & was off. After this By the way I hunt in a golf cart I'm thinking I'll leave while there's no deer around. I get situated ready to pull out & this doe comes running full throttle literally 5' from me I could hear hooves hitting the ground. Glad I didn't pull out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts