2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat and I went to the Academy on Uvalde this evening about 7PM. As we were parking, we saw a young hispanic boy standing beside a Surburban. He was crying and trying to open the doors, but they were locked. I asked him if he was lost and he said "I've been looking all over the store and couldn't find my mommie". He appeared to be about 4-5 years old. So, Pat and I took him into the store. He walked along with us and our two grandkids. As we entered the store, I notioned to the policeman to come hither. He immediately came over, as did a female Academy employee. I told him we found the young man out in the parking lot. He asked the boy what happened and got the same story. The Academy employee made an announcement over the intercome, and in seconds, the mother and two older sisters appeared at the front desk. Mom immediately started chewing the little guy out and was very upset with him. Well duh, he did the best he could ("walked all over the store", then went to the truck). He was scared to death. We just shook our head and went on our way. Bless his little heart.
I believe we did our good deed for the year.
Mike and Pat Henderson

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Well done Mikey and Pat, some folks would have just walked on by....

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Yeah, ya'll did very good.

I have watched police chew out the mothers before because they did not know where their child was or what they were doing or arrrghhh!!

I have also watch officers bust out windows of cars because kids were left inside...LOL I'm talking kids in carseats that could not unlock the doors!

·
Chest deep in the Blanco River
1,838 Posts
Ya'll done good!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Poor little guy. Good on ya'll, Team Stringer.

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
WTG, Full and MTSTRingers. Need more folks like ya'll round.

Not sure why the mom was chewing the kid out....it was her freakin responsibility to watch him....not the kids to watch out for her.....afterall she's the adult...right???? Hmmm. Then we wonder why our world is so confused.

Green on the way.

Mike

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Way to go Mike ,actually this does not surprise me , I see many things in my travels .. Excellent Job ..

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Ditto what Bob said! Y'all are more cool than you know!

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Y'all are somethin' special. Way to go. And I wouldn't worry too much about the mother raggin' so hard on the boy. That might have just been nervous relief. She must have had quite a scare herself.

Anyway, as always, I'm proud to be your friend, y'all are the best.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
As the Mom and the older sisters walked past us, (one a teenager) they all had smiles on their faces. I politely mentioned to the mother that the young man was in the parking lot looking for them. She then went to him, grabbed him by the shoulder, and started chewing on him. It took everything I had to stay out of it.

Had I not had my two grandsons with us I would have gone off on her. You would have thought with three of them that at least one of them would have missed him before he got out to their vehicle, gone all the way around it, and tried all the doors.

I'm still mad at what I watched. But, my grandchildren know that our rule is that we all hold hands until all is said and done. Just like we did with the little boy until we spoke to the nice police officer.

Pat

·
Registered
775 Posts
It's nice to hear of happy ending to this type of situation. We all can only imagine what could of happed to the child had yall not came along and I think that's why the mother was chewing him out, because even though it's her responsibility to keep a watchful eye on him, kids have to be taught to not wonder away also. I have kids that age and have had that wondering away or walking behind or too far in front of the wife and myself in public or private places. It's a real scary feeling for a parent to not know where their kids are even for a second. I'm really glad yall where there.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Awsome....proud of ya..you may have saved a young life....

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
That's what goes through my mind more than anything. It's the location of this particular Store. Interstate 10 @ Uvalde and Market St. Nuff said. There was a higher reason that we were sent to Academy on this evening.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Yall did good! The mother is lucky in a way that her car doors were locked. Had the kid gotten into the car and someone saw him sitting in it by himself while his mother was in the store, she would have been arrested.

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
Poor kid, mom should keep a better eye on him....

You and Pat are good people Mike, glad to know you..

FN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts