2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all probably heard about the guy that killed his 2 kids then shot himself in Spring. Well, that family went to our church and the kids attended the school. (11 yr old boy & 9 yr old girl) The 11 yr old boy was in my daughter's class. Yesterday was a memorial for all the kids. My wife & daughter attended. Apparently it was pretty rough and the pastors had their hands full. Last night was the visitation at the funeral home which my wife & daughter also attended.

At the same time I was at a visitation at yet another funeral home for a friend's daughter. I've known this guy since I began working back in '80. His daughter was 14 yrs old. Apparently she died playing the choking game. (Other names for "The Choking Game" include "Fainting Game," "Passing-Out Game," even "Space Monkey.") Parents, if you've never heard of this game research it. It's very prevalent among school kids and very dangerous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choking_game
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in712411.shtml
http://www.stop-the-choking-game.com/en/home.asp
I know you would talk to your kids about drugs, child predators, etc. This is no different. I know my friend is devestated.

If y'all are of a mind, please pray for the mother & sister of the kids that were killed as well as the other members of our church... mostly the kids. They will have a hard time with this. Also, keep my friend & his ex-wife in your prayers as well. They need comfort.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I said several Prayers after I could get my head to stop shaking no..no..no.....Its getting way...way out of Control...

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
Lord,

My heart is sad to hear of these things. But you must be sadder still. I pray that people will learn reach out for help when life becomes too heavy. While there is life, there is hope. Thank you for the hope you give us in Jesus, who loved us and gave himself for us so that we could have abundant life and eternal life.

Father, be with the two families that were mentioned. Give them your comfort and peace. Overcome any feelings of guilt that they may have. Release them from that bondage. Especially be near any children who have been impacted by these events. Calm their fears, let them learn to live and to love.

Please let children learn not to try foolish and risky games just because their friends are doing it. Give them strength of character to stand up to the latest crazes and fads that can so negatively affect so many lives. Point them to Jesus and his love.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus, my Savior. Amen.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Mrs. B thank you for the well-put prayer. I may not pray often, but in this case I definitely did.

My friends and I used to play the "fainting game" 15-20 years ago, luckily I wasn't very good at it. I would have never thought anyone could die from it. Both such horrible tragedies

There really are no words, but this too shall pass.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,633 Posts
The "fainting game" or a version of it has been around a long time. I remember the guys, me inclued, "playing" it in 1960. Dangerous game. Fourtunately, no one was killed that I knew of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts