2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my boat off at a mechanic's shop in Houston Monday morning due to an over-heating problem with my 60hp Yamaha. The fellow said the owner was out but it would take a week or two to get fixed.

I said that was fine because I couldn't fish with my back injury anyway, and that I could come by and do some work filling some screw holes in the deck while it was there.

That afternoon the same guy called and said the owner was upset that he had told me two weeks and that it would be three weeks and I couldn't do any work on my boat in his yard.

Tuesday morning I went to the shop and told the owner that his time schedule didn't fit my needs and I was there to pick up my boat. He said fine, meet him around back. I took me a few minutes to get around there and he is standing by the trailer as I back up to the hitch.

While I'm hooking up he says to look at the boat and see if it's like it was when I brought it in. I looked at it and said it looked fine to me and drove off.

I had a bad trailer tire I needed to replace so I drove maybe ten blocks to the tire place. I went in and the tire guy came out to look at the tires. At that point we both smell gas and the back of the boat was full of gas/oil mix, at least a gallon or two.

I was thinking WTH and notice the in-line gas filter is unscrewed and gas is running out. I've had that filter on for five years and it has NEVER unscrewed unless I was changing the cartridge.

SO, was it just a coincidence or did this psyco mechanic sabotage my boat??

·
Thank You! Next
7,769 Posts
Kenny,

It was the Ghost of Flats Cats Past lol.. It never ceases to amaze me of the Organizational skills and Business ethics of SOME types of businesses , if I ran my business this way , I would not last a year and my company would fire my ***. I believe , while the BOSS man was away the crew had a jolly good time. They did not want you around watching them F off. And possibly played lets get some gas for the week ..It has happened to me ..

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have previously taken my boat to a get some work done and it was like the guy did the bare minimum and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I recently took my boat to Acie's for an alarm that kept going off and was the work was done in a timely manor, they did not load up on labor hours, they checked it out good and were pleasant to deal with. I left there with warm fuzzy feeling and would not hesitate to take it back to them or recommend them. I am sure many people on this board have similar stories.

Later, Ken

·
Banned
705 Posts
I'm gonna guess the mechanic thought he would do a quick check out . Assumed he would check the filter and put anothe one on to see if that was aproblem then another customer showed up while he was alone and he forgot about it.
I wouldn't be paranoid.
If I was a boat tech at a shop I certainly wouldn't steal somebody's maybe tainted gas. We wouldn't even do that at the bike shop. If I take your bad gas (and I don't know if it is or isn't I am risking problems with what ever I put it in.

Plus the first thing to do is always get a fuel sample in something like a clean dr.pepper bottle so I always ran some fuel off before I did anything because that is a good way to tell maybe what's going on with the carbs.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was over heating and the filter wasn't involved. No one was stealing gas. I'm not generally paranoid but then I've never had this happen before.

What are the odds? I trailer it from Venice to S. Texas more than once and run it for over five years, then I trailer it to houston, pick it up and drive 10 more blocks and the filter comes completely uncsrewed (apart).

I think the owner of the shop may be a nut case!!
I won't be going back either way so It's a moot point. I just thought it was uh...........
strange. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.