2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. You guys have got me hooked on this shark fishing idea. I have learned alot from this board about the do's and don'ts, but with all the info that I have read I have not read what sort of weights you use to anchor your baits in the surf. I have hooked alot of my buddies on the idea of a beach trip specifically for shark and would really appreciate any info that would help me complete my rigging and better my chances. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you ever seen a "Spider or Surf" sinker? THe look like a anchor. You can view and buy them at www.teamdeek.com or www.fasttackle.com . Skipjack also build some big ones and I think he has it in his how to section on his website www.gulfcoastrednecks.com . If you have any further question let me know. I also have Skipjacks directions on how to make his sinkers, with his ok I will email them to you if you like.

Attachments

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
Here is the link to how I make em.

I use 3/4 inch copper and 8 guage wire for the bigger weights. There is a table of measurements at the end of the how to for the exact sizes in ounces and grams.

http://www.gulfcoastrednecks.com/how_to_weights.htm

There is no need for the bait clip mechanism for weights over 10oz unless you really want to cast with a huge weight. I have never casted with more than 8 oz. Those 8 oz weights can hold a 14 inch whiting in some tough current.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow.. thank you both very much for such speedy replies. I have to laugh, as my name states I have always prowled the bays. But after discovering this board and you stories and pictures I've been forced to plan an adventure. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I haven't got a picture of one to show, but I like Big Lou's triangle style weights much better than the tube type weights shown in the above posts. They hold just as good as the tube type and when you break them loose, they are easier to get back in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are they the ones look kinda like a big pyramid sinker with legs? I use breakaway lead lifts on all my casted rigs (wich is all I have right now ) with great success. They pick them weights up like right now. I can skip a 6oz to 8oz sinker on top of the water on my 3/0 or 50HSD. Ya might try them if you havent. Won't do much good on the big boys though.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
With a bigger bait and some current or wave the pyramids will never hold. You will look up and your like will be laying on the beach.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are not pyramids. They are flat triangles. There are several different versions of the triangle weights that I have seen. One is a triangle with an opening in the middle in a triangle shape. The second is like the one in the picture but had a cylindrical shape similar to the copper tube weights going up the center. Kind of like a hybrid. The third is the one in the pic. They are OK to reel in as they will plane up but they take longer to set and are hard to reset because most of the wire I have seen used in them is thin and bends. They also suck in strong current in that they get pulled up and plane especially when you have any drag pressure on them. They sink slow, hold moderately, and lay flat on the sand but are fairly easy to reel in. They do not hold as well as the cylindrical weights. If you want a weight that holds moderately in moderate current that is easy to reel in and is of minimal use in setting a hook, use a triangle. If you want the best holding power use a cylindrical weight of at least 2 lbs, its harder to reel in but will hold 20 lbs of jack and set a hook. So ask yourself this question DO I WANT A WEIGHT THAT IS EASY TO REEL IN OR DO I WANT TO CATCH A SHARK? All you have to do is look at the design and think about it.

IMHO Cylindrical weights in the right proportions are the way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
the weights..

Lou's weights are excellent for moderate size baits.. 'whole whiting..etc'. I have had the honor of using them in the past and still do.

I really been running the biggest baits I can find the past year.. and fishing the big shell currents sometimes those weights don't hold aswell and end up drifting in. Also depends what type of line you are running too. Mono will catch in a current.. you can put almost anything on with Power pro and it will hold.

I been making large weights with 4 and 6 gauge wire for my 12/0s and 14/0s and welding brazing rods.

Anyhow, that is my psycho world.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have yet to see a better weight period than the ones that BBT sells in GALVESTON, he only makes a few at a time and you may have to ask to get them sometimes but they hold no matter what, i have 2 left and almost lost one this weekend, floats on the leader are a must.
When i need a big bait out and there is any current they are my go to.
I make my oun wieghts also from 8oz to 3lb but these are the best in my opinion, you better have a 4/0 with good drag to rip em up though, oh yea 40lb test at least also.
I was able to run whole bonitos out in the ripping stuff Saturday night plus weed, held like a champ.
They are 7.50 each, ouch!!!!!!!!!

16oz daisey chain, like you need 2 of these bad boys at once, LOL!!!!!!!!
Thats an 8oz next to it.

And last but not least, the easy chaep cup wieght when too much weight is never enough.

SEE YA!!!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
That design is the best hands down for holding big baits in heavy current. Of course whatever you choose, each weight has its purpose and you should choose one according to what size bait you are using, what kind of water movement there is and what type of bottom you are fishing.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts